?? Oil filter bypass valve ??

smokie

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
Not been on the forum for a while but just managed to get some time and money together to progress my l28 engine. Ran into a problem that despite searching the net for days can't find the answer to. Found an issue on the block (f54) in the oil filter housing area. Think it's a thing called the oil filter bypass valve ???? And someone before me appears to have been trying to dig it out (unsuccessfully). Not sure 1. What it should look like and 2. Where I can get a new one. Any ideas gratefully received. Hoping to have the car up and running this summer.

smokie

Well-Known Forum User
Aha ..... Just found it ...... It's called an Oil Filter Relief Valve. I can get one on the Zstore for $4 but I don't suppose these are available in the UK ? ....... Now to dig the old one out :)

Mr.F

Inactive
Give me a call - available to order. Last one sold (earlier this year) was £5.40 + VAT...
01277 374201.

Mr.F

Inactive
Server playing up yesterday and didn't seem to be allowing posting - waited 'til my back was turned then multi-posted. Sorry...

DocS30

Well-Known Forum User
Can someone perhaps point out to me where this oil bypass valve is on the motor? I thought they were an integrated part of the oil filter itself?

While we are discussing this issue, I found something slightly strange on my newly aquired s130 when I did a routine service. The Oil filter from the catalogue didn't fit. The car had a much longer filter on there when I bought it.

On closer inspection, I found that it has a piece of tubing on the housing that effectively sends the oil to the back of the oil filter,and I guess may also help with the oil not draining out of the filter completely when the motor isn't running. It seems to be just regular aluminium tubing, and it doesn't seem like it came from the factory.... any insights on this?

unnamed_12.jpg

unnamed_13.jpg

richiep

Club Member
Looks like someone's been engaging in a little DIY for some reason with that tube. Looks like something that should be in the bin, not on the engine!

The oil bypass valve is on the block, next to the oil filter fitting. If you take that oil filter mount off, you'll see it - a small spring-loaded ball bearing.

FYI, on high HP engines with high volume oil pumps, the bypass check valve is often removed and replaced with a blanking plug. The theory is that in high psi situations, the oil seeks the path of least resistance, which is through the valve rather than the filter.

Mr.F

Inactive
The aluminium tube is original equipment on early L28 engines in RHD 280ZX. The angled adapter for the filter was used to clear the power steering box. It frequently gets broken when oil filters are removed with violence, e.g. puncture with a screwdriver to get some leverage.
The by-pass valve is in the engine block so the angled adapter has to be removed to see it.
The ball in the valve often breaks through the end of the valve and ends up on the top of the adapter to be discovered when the oil filter is next removed.

smokie

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Mike for helping me out with my order today. Do you know if the angled adaptor to engine seal requires a gasket ? Can't recall seeing one when I took it off. If it does then can you also order me one along with the relief valve and the cold air box. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DocS30

Well-Known Forum User
ok great so the verdict is leave that tube in there then?

non of the two versions of oil filters the parts store gave me worked. I then got the same one that was on the car when I bought it. It happens to be the same filter as a A14 datsun/nissan pick up. I don't mind it being taller. It's just a bit narrower.

Mr.F

Inactive
Do you know if the angled adaptor to engine seal requires a gasket ?

Yes it does. I have stock so will add to your order.

ok great so the verdict is leave that tube in there then?

Leave tube in for long version of the filter. Not present with the later model short filter (82/83). Early cars can use the short filter and do away with the tube.

smokie

Well-Known Forum User
Parts arrived today Mike, thanks for the quick turnaround. The same part was available in the US of A for $5 but would have cost me $33 to ship ........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk