Oh Jeremy !!!!!

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I think the man said "to suggest that this car was either chosen for its number plate, or that an alternative number plate was substituted for the original is completely untrue"

Not quite the same as claiming it was a coincidence. I'm sure the car was chosen because it fits several criteria.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29474422

Dale

Club Member
Or perhaps the 'location' was chosen because of the plate? Then, they aren't lying with their statement?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I think the man said "to suggest that this car was either chosen for its number plate, or that an alternative number plate was substituted for the original is completely untrue"

Not quite the same as claiming it was a coincidence. I'm sure the car was chosen because it fits several criteria.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29474422

Fair comment, but if you listen to "The world at one" podcast from radio 4 that I heard it on at the time, they said it was a coincidence. Now I'll have to go back and listen to it again! Thanks Jon !!! ;)

Ali K

Ps. I can just imagine them sitting in the Top Gear office giggling away about the plate before the shoot.

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
I think it is a Daily Mail conspiracy !!

The letter FKL couldn't possibly mean anything to the Argentinians, after all they call it Las Malvinas. ;)

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member

The letter FKL couldn't possibly mean anything to the Argentinians, after all they call it Las Malvinas. ;)

Love the critical thinking!!! :thumbs:

But don't you think they may have just chosen that plate on purpose !?

Ali K

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Jon look at your link again and read the caption under the photo of the Porsche - I knew I wasn't going mad. Well not today at least ;)
9abumavy.jpg

Ali K

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
Love the critical thinking!!! :thumbs:

But don't you think they may have just chosen that plate on purpose !?

Ali K

I would say it was more likely chosen because it had a 9 and a 2 and an 8 in the number, but even more likely it was a cheap 928 in reasonable mechanical state that they could drive across South America.

However I don't believe it is a coincidence that Jeremy Clarkeson is a tw*t. :D

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
At least he's an entertaining twit! Mostly. ;)

Have to say though, except for not owning a TV (but I do have a TV licence) I've stopped watching TG in the last couple of years. It's just become too samey.

Ali K

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
There are not enough good car shows on TV. Unfortunately TG takes the "car slot" on the BBC. In my opinion its not a car show but an entertainment prog showing older men getting up to antics in a juvenile way. Never watch it. We need a proper serious car show. Quest seems to be THE channel for car progs at the moment.

Phil007

Club Member
There are not enough good car shows on TV. Unfortunately TG takes the "car slot" on the BBC. In my opinion its not a car show but an entertainment prog showing older men getting up to antics in a juvenile way. Never watch it. We need a proper serious car show.

Could not agree more. I second that motion.

Dale

Club Member
Well he's tweeted that he "swears on his kids' lives" that is was a coincidence.

That's a pretty strong thing to say, so I'll believe him.

Paul_S

Club Member

True, but it wouldn't have been 'funny' to the UK audience if we couldn't have read it as The Falklands.

Could not agree more. I second that motion.
Agreed!

Well he's tweeted that he "swears on his kids' lives" that is was a coincidence.

That's a pretty strong thing to say, so I'll believe him.
Yep, maybe believe him in this instance. But the writers on the other hand...

Joe NI

Club Member
I used to love Top Gear but I'm fed up with all non car related **** they put in the show now. Some of the races they have are completely pointless and take up a lot of time in an episode. Don't forget they have 20+ support staff and mechanics and other vehicles with them when they film the likes of this Argentina episode so they are never on their own as its portrayed. Its all about getting a cheap joke along the way. Hammond is like a parrot when Nissans are mentioned with his 'Datsun ' jokes' ,wearing a bit thin now , anyway rant over......

grahamjc

Well-Known Forum User
This from the same country that had an athlete doing stretches on the monument of the dead on the Falklands islands for the Olympic 2012 2 years ago?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
they then spoke with the authorities in Ushuaia, the town where the war issue was most sensitive, agreed to remove the plates before entering the town and to get BE11 END plates made for Jeremy's car.

:rolleyes:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
they then spoke with the authorities in Ushuaia, the town where the war issue was most sensitive, agreed to remove the plates before entering the town and to get BE11 END plates made for Jeremy's car.

:rolleyes:

:thumbs:

Ali K