O ring on carbs

JK240

Club Member
Hi,

Before I went away on holiday my car was making a bit of a chuffing noise from the carbs, welI am back now and had to drive up for the MOT yesterday (passed thanks for asking :D) and it seemed a little worse than I remember, so on getting home last night I ran the car with the bonnet up and the chuffing is coming from the 1st carb nearest the bulkhead and it looks as though the O rings that seal to the manifold have sort of blown out a little on either side.

My question is, how easy or difficult is it to replace these and get the seal back to stop the chuffing noise...?

Thanks.

amocrace

Well-Known Forum User
depends on the type of 'o' ring that is fitted.
it is a simple job but you could have one of three alternate types. some have a single 'o' ring in a recess in the manifold.janspeed/ mangoletsi type used a solid alloy spacer with an 'o' ring either side. then there is the 'misab' type where the 'o' ring is bonded to a thin plate. whichever type you have you will probably need to replace them as they tend to swell from fuel on them eventually.
personally i use them solid mounted as on a balanced L6 motor they are unnecessary

JK240

Club Member
Thanks for that, repaired temporarily, they had swollen like you say and so all have been trimmed, superglued and put back on which has more or less cured the chuffing for the time being, it's still doing it a little on the carb nearest the bulkhead but its miles better than it was last week and we have ordered some solid mounted ones to replace them with as soon as they land.