Speeduino installation

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I mentioned a few weeks ago I’m replacing my distributor with a Nodiz distributorless igniton https://motorsport-electronics.co.uk/products/ignition-only-systems/nodiz-pro/.
The kit has all arrived and I’ve made a start.
Here’s the bit’s I’ve got:- I thought it was everything but I now realise I need new plugleads too.

8f8faaf4922cc0cb3e2eba3640ef1c0d.jpg

Everything is from Motorsport Electronics, except the trigger wheel and the sensor bracket which are from trigger-wheels.com.

My KEW crank damper has no room in front for a trigger wheel (I even had to shave the fan blades to stop them hitting the front of it). Luckily there’s 7mm spare between the pulley and the timing cover, so the trigger wheel is going there.
It’s a 5.75” trigger wheel and slightly smaller diameter than the damper so nice and discreet. I had a friend machine a 48mm hole in the middle to fit on the back of the damper.

fa245dfbe4434dea376b21007535a035.jpg

9595368ee2b4a7938b8cef87d349aa44.jpg

Next I’ve got to mount the sensor. I think it’ll fit at about 4 o’clock, keeping it discreet.
When that’s done, I can figure out the position of the missing tooth (90 deg before the sensor), mark it up and get the trigger wheel tigged on.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
That does look tidy. I’d be happy to reuse my old leads if i could find the ends to fit that will go on the coil pack - any ideas? And I do need to figure out where to mount it all. I don’t think there’s room on the bulkhead - I’m imagining the coil pack will end up on the inner wing.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
That doesn’t look like it’d fit - the coil pack has a terminal in the centre, whereas those ends look the same as go in the distributor, where the connection is on the outside if that makes any sense. I’ve asked Motorsport Electronics what I need!

Last edited:

yellowz

Club Member
Don't know much about coils at all. looking on the Trigger Wheels website it says 1st gen or 2nd Gen.

When I have read about 280 coils the discussion goes around 1.5 ohm or 3 ohm. Why is this not mentioned in the spec for a coil pack?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I suppose it’s all about compatibility criteria: in 70s and 80s coils all had the same plugs but you check ohm rating for points compatibility.
In 90s I think there’s no points to worry about but there are different plug formats to worry about - Ford gen1 and gen2, per this pic.
Fordpictorialreference.jpg

The one I got with the Nodiz is gen2.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Sensor now mounted at around 3 o’clock and I’ve marked the wheel up for it to be tigged on to the damper at 90 deg before TDC

67ae578916774cb70f5926aebe4a7f65.jpg

1a333a389e0ffc035d8f563a95b32296.jpg

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I’ve got my crank damper back with the trigger wheel welded on.

2442a509f18cbad74ff27a5b18f209b5.jpg

b1cdfda815fa48b8d8cb9f632ec24331.jpg

So that’s fitted.

56dc8a0a5c0be940f1eca9a32b0afc6f.jpg

Next step is put the engine. Maybe tomorrow.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
The engine is in and today I started looking at powering the Nodiz up and getting my head around the wiring.
First job was to figure out which pin is which on the coil pack plug - supplier only knew pin 4 was +ve.
I figured that out:
cfd245ac4157f10c648a4f2bb6a152c0.jpg

and mounted the coil pack on the drivers side inner wing.
72907af25b0695f81e422df48beee3bb.jpg

I had one cylinder running on the Nodiz, but then I ran into some problems, so I’m now waiting for some help from Motorsport-Electronics.

Last edited:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I’ve made up my spark plug leads.
698cf46767a60f860b6108ada83469c8.jpg

I cut down a spare ‘normal’ set to the right lengths and put these https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/111119087933 M4 coil plugs on.
In the end I’ve bought 8 of them, because I broke 2 fitting them. There’s obvs quite a bit of technique in putting the ends on that I don’t have. I think it would have been cheaper, easier and better if I’d asked Mr Retro-Leads to just make the lead set for me.

yellowz

Club Member
What is the height of the coil pack with the leads in please? I'm looking for somewhere to plonk mine if I do this. On the bulkhead behind the engine has a space for it but I think it is too tall/wide with the leads in.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I’ll measure it later. My guess it would certainly be tight.

Edit: it’s 105mm tall.
There’s 110mm from firewall to my cam cover.
Looks like you could just squeeze it in between heater inlets, brake lines and throttle linkage, but it would be a real pita to work on. You’d prob have to take the cam cover off to unplug a lead.

Last edited:

yellowz

Club Member
Just found your reply. Thanks for the information, I must have missed it earlier. Guess we'll be going for plan B then.

Is the car up and running on the Nodiz now?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Just found your reply. Thanks for the information, I must have missed it earlier. Guess we'll be going for plan B then.

Is the car up and running on the Nodiz now?

No, not running yet. I’m on a second round of returning the unit to the manufacturer. First time, I blew a coil driver. When it came back it worked long enough to install the crank sensor loom but then it died totally so sent it back again.
While I was waiting first time around a friend made a new longer loom with all the required wires present - out of the box it only has 1.5m of wiring for a no frills 4 cylinder engine install.

yellowz

Club Member
Good luck. I'm still waiting to get my engine out and glue the trigger wheel in, amongst other things.

For a complete non techy do you think it would be worth me doing the trigger wheel and sensor install and then giving the fit/test work to Motorsport Electronics to do? Going by their video with the sensor install done 'you can be up and running in two minutes'.....