No more history from DVLA

uk66fastback

Club Member
What a magnificent, helpful organisation the DVLA have become.

WHO actually sat there in some meeting and decided that would be 'a good idea' ...

Huw

Club Member
Yep this is true as have been trying to get history for my 1932 Morris. Most helpful organisation .... not.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I imagine it's a data protection thing. I think they changed it in the US after some guy murdered a woman he'd looked up through the DMV.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I imagine it's a data protection thing. I think they changed it in the US after some guy murdered a woman he'd looked up through the DMV.

So, once again, the exception proves the rule !

I thought it fabulous that you guys had access to this info, like the checking of MOTs online.

We have none of that here and very much buyer beware !

uk66fastback

Club Member
In the mid 80s I remember writing to the DVLC as it was then, to get some ownership history on the Stag I had just bought. The car was a '74 and this was '86 and it had had 11 owners - nearly one for every year it had been on the road. Cost me a fortune in stamps, that did.

Yes, it did blow the HG, if anyone was curious ...

Mr.G

Club Member
That is a shame if that is true, I applied back in March for the history of a vehicle I had just purchased which came with no history...via the V888 form.. The reason I gave the DVLA was that I was interested in the history of my vehicle as I wanted to do a full restoration down the line etc... paid my £5 and after a month or so and a chase.... I finally received a large envelope with all the copies of the V5s...

I am glad I did it when I did it... seems we are becoming very anti classic car of late*... especially since the agendas for autonomous vehicles and electric ones are becoming so prominent.

* I understand that this is being driven by privacy rules etc.. but still! The history of a vehicle would normally have been passed down in the paperwork which came with your vehicle anyway had the previous owners been prudent with the vehicle's history and maintenance file..

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Apparently the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs (FBHVC) knew nothing about this. One of the members of the Rover forum wrote to them and here is their response;

Thank you for your email to our Secretary regarding the V888 service from DVLA, which has been passed to me. FBHVC were not aware of this change.
I have checked the position with DVLA and it seems that they have reassessed what constitutes ‘reasonable cause’ for requesting this information and have issued a new version of the V888 form to reflect this. Details of what is considered to be ‘reasonable cause’ are available at - www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla
I specifically enquired if a request from the current keeper of a vehicle for the full history of that vehicle for the purpose of researching its history was still permitted and the reply was that this was NOT considered to be ‘reasonable cause’.
So, with this new approach DVLA were correct to reject the V888 request from your fellow member, but the explanation they provided was incorrect.

I am sorry I cannot provided better news on this topic.

Regards,
Ian Edmunds
DVLA Liaison
FBHVC

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I have a full list and most V5 copies of all the owners of the Sam I bought off JK. There have been many, it's not a 'one owner' car! :lol:

I would feel 'lost' without that information because it adds to the attraction of the car.

Pete Chapman has been here since I bought it and given me old pics of his restoration of it, plus stories and conversations. We also went for a drive in the 'old girl'.

Whoever has my old track car is missing all that - I could tell him so much. Provenance is really interesting to me.

Shame they have stopped it.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Glad I did mine a few years ago. There were a few holes in the info mind you. I did know one of the previous early owners as his name was on the rear Numberplate but there was no V5 for him.