New to forum/old hand with jap metal

DriftBug

Forum User
Hi folks!

Thought I'd join up in the Z forums as I've always wanted a 240z (dream car since I was a boy) and figured 2015 is the year I'll get one.

I'm not new to the chassis having been chief engineer for a prolific jap tuner in the UK for a number of years, however I've never owned a Z, just a string of S bodies (currently a V8 S13 - fairly well known car/made bbc/itv national news in 2014) - now a sil80 converted.

Anywhos I'll be floating about the forums and with any luck pick up a rolling shell or something here or ebay etc and get a build thread going from there.

Plan is to build a fast road/track day caged Z with some custom fab fancy bits and bobs etc to keep folk interested.

That'll do for now I guess, cheers for the read folks!

astroboy

Well-Known Forum User
Hi welcome aboard.

Which tuner are your the chief of and also curious to know what made a v8S13 sil80 make the news...?

Look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks

DriftBug

Forum User
Bingo - but I left Thor 2 months ago and they shut down last week :-/

So the plan is to use the car for motofest and then sell her to buy/build a 240 (or 260/80 - which ever I can lay my hands on)

I have a new V8 crate engine and going to build a high comp V8 lump and then build the car around that.

Probably a bit of a marmite car with purists I imagine?? Probably using S-body running gear etc but it's all up in the air/no solid plans until I have a chassis in the workshop - the hard part will be finding one I guess??

Wyn

Club Member
buy/build a 240 (or 260/80 - which ever I can lay my hands on)

I have a new V8 crate engine and going to build a high comp V8 lump and then build the car around that.

Probably a bit of a marmite car with purists I imagine?? Probably using S-body running gear etc but it's all up in the air/no solid plans until I have a chassis in the workshop - the hard part will be finding one I guess??

Sounds like you'll be best off buying a left hooker, as for what you want that would seem the obvious choice ?
They come up now n then on ebay n as you'll not be interested in faded paint or worn trim so you should get lucky.
Finding a solid rhd shell (for what you want) will be impossible unless you want to pay big bucks
So other then moving the steering wheel back where it belongs it should go easy .... er :D

Good luck on what you find n keep the pics coming when you find one :thumbs:

btw, Hybrid Z's make the best Z's ;)

pete.vert

Active Forum User
If your from Coventry way your not far from me. I have a 260 2+2 that I'm selling.
I'm just below burton on Trent.
What happened to Thor? I was only talking about them the other day.

Pete

DriftBug

Forum User
Thanks for the advice Astroboy! - I hadn't even considered a left hooker, there's a couple on ebay at the moment, not worried about any of it much really - so long as it's relatively solid then I can crack on with fab/cage etc. - then move on for the usual from there.

Hi Pete, not sure really about the shut down, business was good etc but I boss just wanted to slow things down in his life etc. - I did aquire a butt load of workshop gear to help in my personal endeavours so it's not all bad ;)

Your not too far from me and I'd certainly love to take a look at your 260, realistically I'm 6/8 weeks off buying a Zcar - but if the right car came along - who knows ;)

Pm me and we'll sort something out.

Wyn

Club Member
Couple of 260z left hookers just reappeared on ebay
Maybe a bit of you ?

Dunno anything about them but sure those 2 have been discussed on here before ...

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Driftbug, I'm 20 miles south east of Coventry, so if you ever want a poke around a Z I've got a 260 you can take a look over.
All the best with finding your car & the build. Plz post plenty of pics :)

:driving:

DriftBug

Forum User
Hi Driftbug, I'm 20 miles south east of Coventry, so if you ever want a poke around a Z I've got a 260 you can take a look over.
All the best with finding your car & the build. Plz post plenty of pics :)

:driving:

Lovely thank you Jake! - I'll take you up on that offer soon :)

Just trying to shift my s body first, here's the spec/pics of that in the mean time:

Chassis;
-Nissan S13 (L reg)
-tubbed rear arches and modified fronts for lock and lows clearance
-Wide front & rear fenders -rears installed with Riv-nuts stainless bolts for easy replacement/access
-Body kit inc front/rear bumpers and skirts (pictured)
-Ferrari style rear lamps/panel - one of only 2 sets in existence to the best of my knowledge
-Nismo vented bonnet
-tow eye mounted on turret
-stitch welded engine bay/turrets/rails etc
-removable front panel for fast/easy engine swaps etc
-fabricage through dash cage
-heaters etc removed to save weight
-all sound deadening stripped to remove weight
-if it's not nailed down it's gone to save weight and even then, it's probably been lightened.
Wiring looms stripped to minimum to save weight

Suspension:
REAR
-S13 Tein super street coil overs all round - no leaks
-S14 rear subframe -blasted/painted and solid offset bushes (roll centre correction "raised 15mm typed for better anti squat/geo etc)
-Various Adjustable rear arms
-S14 Whiteline rear arb with polly drop links/bushes
-Polly bushes
-S14 rear 5 stud hubs
-driftworks geomasters
FRONT:
-S15 front lower suspension arms with pollys extended & gussetted (total 110mm wider than standard inc 25mm spacers) powder coated and new s14 ball joints
-Caster adjustable polly bushes/tension rods
-S14 front hubs (5 stud)
-S15 steering arms extended/strengthened with new ball joints/gaiters
-Mines front strut brace

Running Gear:
-Thor-racing 1uz to w58 transmission adapter kit including;
-Race weight billet 1uz flywheel (6kg)
-Adapter plates, central
-hydraulic concentric slave cylinder (with upgraded bearing)
-competition clutches stage 2 clutch kit,
-stainless earles lines&fittings etc
-W58 transmission (none remote) with Thor shifter extension
-Carbonic gear knob
-Custom Propshaft (built by Dave mac Propshafts coventry)
-S14 LSD & shafts - (sold my 2 way sorry)
Clutch also has easy 1 man bleed system, can be bled on the floor in seconds!!!

Engine:
-1Uz-fe (1994 ls400 front sump)
-Egr system deleted and various other stuff removed
-ITG induction kit
-Modified headders
-Decat
-custom exhaust
-New cambelt kit/water pump/dizy caps/rotor arms/plugs/aux belt/oil/filter/rocker gaskets/water bridge gaskets/thermostat/alternator etc etc etc
Thor-racing aux belt tensioner (deletes all the old pulleys etc so there's just 3 pulleys on the front of the engine now)
-Custom engine loom - will plug and play into any Ca18 engined s13 and visa versa if you so wished?
-Link Storm G4 etc mapped by Thor -269bhp at the rear wheels (approx 300 fly) it's not massive power but all power/torque is available from 2k rpm to the red line - a very drivable/capable car!!!!
-4000rpm soft rev limit until engine warms too which is a nice engine friendly touch
-APEXI 50mm radiator with BIG electric fans 1pull 1push (ecu controlled)

Interior:
Gauges all wired/working & big 5" tachometer/shift light
-Cobra fibreglass bucket (drivers side) - no rips/marks - very nice seat! On super low rail
-Standard s13 passenger seat
-4 point harnesses takarta/luke
-Dished steering wheel
-carbonic knob
-Dash stripped out

Brakes:
-R33 4 pots/discs up front
-R33 twin pots/discs up rear
-Hydro hand brake
-Floor mounted race pedal box (twin brake cylinders/bias adjustable with switch etc)
-Spent over £600 on earls braided brake/fuel lines through out

Oh and 18" rota journey rims - nice/wide and dishy wrapped in drift rubber.

image_zpsf1336cae.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpsaa25b843.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpsc84601a0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]