New suspension top mounts/upper spring seat and intercooler mounts

240z

Club Member
Been tinkering with some ideas for top mounts/upper spring seat, and finally managed to get them made up. I wanted to get a top mount for my 2.25" springs. I didn't like having to use the existing top mount, but the alternative seemed to mean losing suspension travel, or the stock rubber isolator, which might have meant quite a harsh ride..

Thanks to Black Bug for the help, I got these made up. They should allow full suspension travel, regular bumpstops, and 2.25" springs.:thumbs:

I also made myself a more substantial intercooler mount, for my more substantial intercooler using aluminum angle. I did manage to re-use the old horn bolt holes.

now just to get everything back together again...

Attachments

• IMG_3987s.JPG
    IMG_3987s.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4240s.jpg
    IMG_4240s.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4243s.jpg
    IMG_4243s.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 83

farstar

Well-Known Forum User
Being a bit thick, could you please explain the changes over stock with regards the suspension and the perceived benefits of the changes?

240z

Club Member
The top mounts would only benefit those who have gone to using 2.25" or 2.5" springs.
The issue arises from the fact that the stock top mount is "hat" shaped allowing the strut to pass into it, and "houses" the bumpstop. If you use a weld on adjustable platform and narrower springs they will not then fit in the old top mount spring recess, though they can rest on them, but would require centralising them when you take your car off the jack, for example.

Most kits come with just a "flat" top mount for the narrow spring, which do not allow the strut through, therefore reducing overall suspension travel.

These mounts allow the strut to pass through (or into) them, which maintains the amount of travel, but also locates the narrower spring at the top.

Hope that makes sense!

Russ

Club Member
It's a shame we don't have the market for it or I'd be trying to make these to sell, look really good, nice to see people building cars properly, no bodges :) :thumbs:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
They look good Phil (240Z).

My 2.25 springs sit in a ring welded into the original steel top-hat. Works ok but not as pretty as yours.

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
They look good Phil (240Z).

My 2.25 springs sit in a ring welded into the original steel top-hat. Works ok but not as pretty as yours.

Did the same with mine Rob they work fine, guess Phil may have saved a few grams though ;) every little helps. :D

240z

Club Member
Yep, the weld on ring approach would be pretty much equivalent, the only issue I thought would be that you would more likely get coil bind, as the spring would sit further away from strut top, but I don't think there is much in it. I expect the difference may be a centimeter or two.

240z

Club Member
Finally got the intercooler on! took a lot more time than I expected, but is now a lot more secure.

I just have to figure out where to route the intake, I've never been a fan of where it is located in front of the intercooler, but not much room to the side, I'll have to have a play around I think. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_4268s.JPG
    IMG_4268s.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4272s.JPG
    IMG_4272s.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4275s.JPG
    IMG_4275s.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 54

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I just have to figure out where to route the intake, I've never been a fan of where it is located in front of the intercooler, but not much room to the side, I'll have to have a play around I think. Any ideas?

Can it go lower down and 'open - up' the front valance/spoiler? Don't drive through any deep water though! Or via a bonnet scoop?

240z

Club Member
Thanks Rob, will have a go to see if I can get it below the torsion bars, which are a bit of a pain.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
are the supension top mounts still available ? if so how much for 4 using 2 1/4 springs

260Z TT

Club Member
Hi Phil,
I too could do with a set for 2.5 inch springs, if they are still able to be made.
Cheers,
Mark.