New owner

240fan

Forum User
Morning all
Just wanted to say hello.
I've been a lurker here for some time and have finally bought one!
I've had a few classic cars over the years:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/48083377@N03/albums/72157652103742549
but I've always been impressed with 240/260's so when this one appeared I had to go and have a look (it was only 10 miles away). It's a UK RHD car that amazingly, has never been welded!!
I've seen a few 240's with more patches than a black and white dog convention so it was nice to find one that hasn't seen a welder. The chassis rails, inner wings, outer wings, arches, air boxes, floors etc etc are free of rust. Nice dash too, only 1 small crack around 1cm long that I hope can be repaired. The front of the bonnet needs work as does the bottom of the doors but it'll not need much at all to get the shell 100%. It's been off the road since the late 80's and although the engine has been running recently I'll be rebuilding it to a spec that depends on what I'll be eventually using it for. I'm not sure yet if I'll make it into a racer or standard looking trackday car. Probably the latter but we'll see. Anyway, I hope to be joining in and contributing a bit more; looks like there is a lot of knowledgeable people that I hope can help with the many questions I'm sure to have over the coming months.

_57%2012_zps5d8n8vbw.jpg

_57%2017_zps1jssonp7.jpg

_57%2020_zpsbu02pfsu.jpg

_57%2016_zpsahtta54o.jpg

By the way, a picture of my other Japanese obsession, for all you ring a ding ding ding fans...
IMG_2125_zps4yqrdbxm.jpg

gturner008

Well-Known Forum User
Congratulations - a great find. Welcome to ownership. I'm a total 240z novice - but I know you'll have a fab response from other members on the site.

You have a rare car - well found.

richiep

Club Member
Nice - I was watching that closely on eBay and considered bidding - but expected it would jump out of my present project #2 budget - as it did in the last few seconds. More saving needed (or I just stick to the original plan of LHD car for RHD conversion).

Has it not had a new rear valance and tailgate slam panel though? That was what the photos of the primered rear suggested to me. They look awfully clean to be original.

johnymd

Club Member
I spoke to the seller on Friday and it sounded like a really solid and original car. 12-13 was my estimate on sale price. Money well spent at the start will produce a much better car at the end and it sounds like you bought well. Good luck with the build.

240fan

Forum User
But did you go and see it ? Sorry, but sellers can tell us anything they want over the phone.:eek:

I spent an hour or so with the current owner and had a good look around/underneath it.
I suppose you never really know the true condition until you get all the paint off so we'll see but first impressions are good. If I decide to go down the road car/trackday route I was thinking about finding a 280 engine to rebuild for relatively cheap power and torque??
I'm fairly new to all the options so I'll be doing some reading but it'd be nice to have around 250bhp as a track car.
I think Charles Barter's HSCC racer has around 230 bhp but I would think that'd be expensive to get with a 2.4L block, 60 thou overbore on original carbs.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Steve, this looks like a great basis for a track-day car.

Welcome to the Forum and you have had a few sporty cars. I love those original Elites.

I'll watch progress with interest.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Congrats 240fan on your purchase. Lots of knowledgeable people here to help you along the way. Look forward to watching the progress.

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
Is this a uk supplied car ? I see the front valance has the holes for the indicators & it is also fitted with a non locking fuel flap, probably both items have been replaced with rust free items from across the pond.

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
Sorry forgot to add that from the look of the car in the pics it looks like you have purchased a very good solid example.

240fan

Forum User
As soon as the V5 comes back I'm going to ask DVLA for a list of previous owners to see if I can contact any of them to get a bit more info about it's background.
The guy I bought it from has only had it a year but the owner before that had it for 13 years so he's the person I really need to speak to.
The speedo reads 21000 miles but more likely to be 121000 of course, be interesting to find out for certain.
It has an HS30... chassis number and was registered 1st April 1972, OWW355K.
It's just occurred to me now that I've picked it up exactly 44 years to the day after it had been registered
Anyone recognise the reg??