Need assurance

Paul Henley

Club Member
Hi all, well after going through all the wheel related posts yet again, I'm at the point where I think I've decided what wheels I want. Nothing exotic and going for what seems to be very popular, the Rota RKR wheels in steel grey. Just want to be sure thet what I'm going to order is correct as per this link

http://www.rotashop.co.uk/rota-rkr-15-8-4x114mm-et0-steel-grey-single-rim_p31144973.htm

15"x 8 (for both front and rear) PCD 114 with ET0 offset.

My 240 is totally standard, not lowered with standard brakes, suspension etc. These will be my day to day wheels, unlikely to see a track and I basically just want them to look nice and compliment the car.

Because its the standard set up I have huge gaps between the wheels and arches so hoping to reduce this gap with the tire wall size, so I'm planning on looking at tire size 225/50/15 for .the wheels above. Anyone have any views on this?

Hoping to order the wheels this week ('unless someone has an "as new" set that they are looking to sell), so basically looking for reassurance that having gone for these wheels the sizes I'm ordering are correct and advice on complimentary tire sizes.

Thanks in advance for any response.

Paul

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Just when you think your sorted :(

How hard can this be??

It can be a nightmare if you want to 'fill the arches' because by the nature of the desire you are going to be close.

215/60/15 are ok on the rear of my 240 but fouled at the front. I have fitted 205/55/15 at the front. 7" wheels offset? I have a pair of Continental 215/60 for sale - very little wear.

On my 260 I have 205/60/15 no problem. 8" wheels offset?

That will probably confuse you more. :confused:

JK240

Club Member
It can be a nightmare if you want to 'fill the arches' because by the nature of the desire you are going to be close.

215/60/15 are ok on the rear of my 240 but fouled at the front. I have fitted 205/55/15 at the front. 7" wheels offset? I have a pair of Continental 215/60 for sale - very little wear.

On my 260 I have 205/60/15 no problem. 8" wheels offset?

That will probably confuse you more. :confused:

Offset is 0 Rob ;)

johnymd

Club Member
I'm afraid it is not that easy Paul.

Firstly, IMO these wheels will not look good at all on a car that hasn't been lowered. They suit the car much better the lower you go.

But, once you lower it the tyres will foul when you go over bumps. If you increase the profile you will then start to have problems with the fronts catching on the lower valence as you turn the wheel. The maximum diameter you will get away with on the front is 609mm. 225/50x15 is 606mm. Go to 55 profile and it's 628mm. 205/55x15 is 606mm which would be my choice. Then if you lower it you will just get away with it not rubbing. A 7" wheel is a safer bet but you don't get much of a dish. I've just fitted 16x7 wheels with 225/45x16 (609mm diameter) and it catches the front valence and very occasionally rubs when I go over big depressions.

To sum up: it's a bit of a minefield.

PS. That's why I didn't buy 15x8 RKR's for the silver car. I also think 7" wolfies look good on a standard car with 205/65x14 tyres.

New Forum User
If you go with 8" wide ,with 0 offset you will need to roll your wheel arches.7" works with 0 offset.With 8",ideally you want +12.I'm running Rota RB's 16X8 with +10 offset on a lowered car and had to have the lips rolled more than once to stop any contact.No problem if you"re into flaring your guards ,or the arch extentions.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Paul,
The other thing to look out for is the increasing rarity of wide 15” rubber. 225 50 15 is only available from a couple or so of manufacturers. 16” is way easier to get the right sizes, but then try getting a 16x8 Rota in the Uk!

racer

Club Member
Hi all, well after going through all the wheel related posts yet again, I'm at the point where I think I've decided what wheels I want. Nothing exotic and going for what seems to be very popular, the Rota RKR wheels in steel grey. Just want to be sure thet what I'm going to order is correct as per this link

http://www.rotashop.co.uk/rota-rkr-15-8-4x114mm-et0-steel-grey-single-rim_p31144973.htm

15"x 8 (for both front and rear) PCD 114 with ET0 offset.

My 240 is totally standard, not lowered with standard brakes, suspension etc. These will be my day to day wheels, unlikely to see a track and I basically just want them to look nice and compliment the car.

Because its the standard set up I have huge gaps between the wheels and arches so hoping to reduce this gap with the tire wall size, so I'm planning on looking at tire size 225/50/15 for .the wheels above. Anyone have any views on this?

Hoping to order the wheels this week ('unless someone has an "as new" set that they are looking to sell), so basically looking for reassurance that having gone for these wheels the sizes I'm ordering are correct and advice on complimentary tire sizes.

Thanks in advance for any response.

Paul

Paul
I have these exact wheels on my track car. It's quite low so I run a 215/50/15 Toyo 888 witch come up quite wide but they clear. As Johny says you will need to lower the car to make it look right.
Also the wheels are a tad darker in the flesh than they are in the picture witch suited me.

Paul Henley

Club Member
update

Hi all, just a bit of an update on this thread.
Firstly thanks all for the advice offered, really appreciate you guys taking the time and effort to help.
I've spent most of the week digesting your comments and weighing up my options. Reluctantly I agree with a few of the opinions offered that as my car is in its standard form and not lowered etc then my choice of Rota wheels wouldn't really be suitable. I have a set of 14x7 70's wolfrace that are in nice condition and the period look would better suit the look of the car, and I'll send them to a professional polishers to bring them up to standard. In the mean time I was planning on having the original steel wheels and hubcaps made available, so I'm having 5 new tires fitted over the weekend and will use them until I get the wolfies done. I ordered (Blackcircle) Michelin Energy Savers 195/70/14 tires but later remembered someone saying the spare might not fit in the wheel well with this size tire? Another job to do in the near term will be to restore the hub caps, something else for the weekend.
Thanks again
Paul

Paul Henley

Club Member
So they might not look sporty but at least the car will be legal for its MOT when finished. The balance weights look a bit unsightly, even when the wheel trim is fitted. Paint them black?

Attachments

• red IMG_2908.jpg
    red IMG_2908.jpg
    901.8 KB · Views: 78
  • red IMG_2913.jpg
    red IMG_2913.jpg
    826.8 KB · Views: 69

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi Paul, lovely car.

Your ride height is too high even higher than the standard ride height.

It looks better without the hubcaps.

Paul Henley

Club Member
Hi Rob, just nipped into the garage for a measure, at the rear it's 3 inches between the arch and a square across the tire, and 2.5 inches on the front, I thought this was about normal for a standard car?