Monte Carlo Rally

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
This has been a fantastic opener to the season. If you haven't liked rallying try watching this on Tuesday eve channel 5.

Good manufacturer support too - Ford, Citroën, Hyundai, Toyota!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Just watched this and they really do know how to dumb-down the excitement. They constantly talk over the picture and turn down the sound so you lose all the engine noise and crisp gear-changing.

Then they talk about stuff outside of the action e.g. a question and answer session with Ott Tanak and his co-driver to see who knows the most about each other - such as children's ages!!!

Really disappointing. They would say that they are appealing to non-purists but they don't watch it I'm sure.

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
Rob

When I can I listen to the Live Feed radio reporting, decent well informed reporters interviewing the crews at the finish of each stage.

Yes the TV shows are pretty poor and must admit I record them and then whizz through the boring bits when replaying ;) The in-car stuff is often too short and cuts out just as they are reaching an interesting bit. But if you are trying to cram in a day's action into a 24 min programme then it does suffer.

Eve if you look at the stuff on the TV about rallying in these island, they seem to follow the same sort of format. In these cases I've been told it's down to the low budget filming operations, that tender for each of the series, plus the fact that Motors TV (or whatever it's now called) doesn't pay for the filming, so the programme makers have to find in-programme sponsors.

However the above doesn't apply to the WRC coverage, and they don't have a good excuse not to churn out better programmes.

Rant over ;)

There's zero money in the TV coverage for rallying.

Its a cycle of dropping viewing figures so dropping advertisement revenue, its not a brand that anyone's willing to put money into. That means TV coverage which for these is on a large scale gets hammered to the point where it does make viable sense for any broadcast company to cover it, especially ones who have the right kit and investment models to offer an increase in quality. WRC will suffer for years until interest pics up again.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Just to add that BT Sports coverage was fantastic.

WRC 'Live' was great too.

When you watch these cars from the side of the road without commentary they are so exciting. The easy way out is to show interviews and 'in-car' filming and that is not exciting.

Paul_S

Club Member
I've been invited to Banbury tomorrow so I'll be there on static display with the 370Z (the 240Z isn't on the road still, sadly).

I'll see if I can getting any decent photos and / or video clips of the event :)