Modified cross member to suit S13/14 gearbox swap | The Z Club of Great Britain
  1. The Z Club relies on the support of it's paid members - join the club or renew your membership here.

Modified cross member to suit S13/14 gearbox swap

Discussion in 'Parts and Other Items Wanted' started by toopy, Sep 10, 2017.

1. toopy

toopy
    Z Club Member

Highly unlikely i know, but if anyone has an already modified cross member to suit an S13/14 gearbox swap, that they're willing to sell, let me know please :)

2. jonbills

jonbills
    Z Club Committee
    Committee Member

3. Rob Gaskin

Rob Gaskin Membership Secretary Staff Member Committee Member

It's quite easy to modify a standard one, but you do need to weld.

4. AliK

AliK
    ZClub Administrator
    Committee Member

Nice find JB - £190 including duties or cost of welding tools (or hiring) + hassle factor. I personally love the bushing idea on them too.

Watching with interest Mr. T. Hope it transforms your motor.

5. Rob Gaskin

6. Rob Gaskin

Not pretty but it worked just fine - took about an hour with an old arc welder (that's all I had at the time).

Attached Files:

7. Albrecht

Albrecht Active Forum User

I suggest - when looking at Kameari Engine Works parts - that going direct to Kameari's online catalogue is better than that of any of their so-called agents or re-sellers.

Here's a link to the page with the crossmember:

http://www.kameariengineworks.co.jp/Catalogue-v3/catalogue-071.pdf

Note it says (to avoid potential confusion) that it's for the 71C type transmissions. It also mentions that it's suitable only for S30/S31 bodies dating after September 1972 production, with the later type mount brackets in the bodyshell.

8. Rob Gaskin

Thank you.

9. pmac

pmac Active Forum User

I have one.
    It needs a rework on one side as it was made before I acquired the "jig piece"
    I can do this prior to selling it.

Attached Files:

10. toopy

toopy
    Z Club Member

Yes please Pete, that would be fantastic :thumbs:

11. toopy

toopy
    Z Club Member

That does look good, and not having the necessary hardware or experience to weld one myself, I may well have been tempted.
    Think i would probably of tried to get it done locally tho before relieving myself of close to £200 notes :rolleyes:

12. Albrecht

Albrecht Active Forum User

The price in Japan is perfectly reasonable, and Kameari are a proper business.

13. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

Has anyone come up with a definitive distance that the bolt hole should be offset? I think the last time this was asked, no-one in the know came up with a figure.

14. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

I have seen a cross member that is already offset. Anyone know what this is from?

15. jonbills

jonbills
    Z Club Committee
    Committee Member

This seems pretty thorough: 1 3/8" apparently.

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/240SX5spd/transmission4.htm

16. pmac

pmac Active Forum User

Err... not quite fantastic:unsure: but it now lines up properly with the mounting holes.
    Email me to arrange.pmaczc@madasafish.com

Attached Files:

17. Rob Gaskin

Looking at Pete's latest unmodified crossmember it's different to mine so am I right in say that the crossmembers for the 4 and 5 speed gearboxes are different? If so that might be why there is confusion John?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2017
  18. SKiddell

SKiddell Having a bad day

There is certainly a difference in the mounting method from early to late cars

Early cars had a vertical bolt on each side holding a cross-member up where as on later cars there were horizontal pins through bushes (one per side) holding the cross-member in between shackles

19. Rob Gaskin

It's not that Steve it looks like Pete's crossmember has a curve (fore and aft) mine was straight across. It might be an optical illusion.

20. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

I believe the mounting positions for both 4 and 5 speed are the same as I've just swapped from a 4 to a 5 and used the same gearbox mount and cross member. As Steve said, the early cars had the vertical mount and all others had the horizontally bolt mounting. The 280zx hard a curved cross member which may then require less of an offset adjustment for the hole. It will still need cutting though so it doesn't really matter which you cut up. I've come to the conclusion that around 35mm is the approximate amount of adjustment required. The reason it is not critical is due to the clearances for the various bolt holes and the rubber mountings of both engine and gearbox. This is why some people can get away with 25mm offset and others nearly 50mm. you can make either fit. As your modifying the cross member and shortening the prop, you could also take the opportunity to relocate your engine further back (as was done successfully with big sam) and improve the handling.