Maxima Rear Brake Handbrake Q.

Wes

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Guys,

Have any of you converted your rear brakes to 280zx Calipers with the Maxima brackets and if so......does your handbrake work OK?

Mine's not great and just wondering if it was due to the conversion or something else.

Thanks,

Wes

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I haven't done your exact conversion but I do have rear discs. Some of us have had handbrake issues because the disc set-up needed more cable movement than the drum set-up. I extended my handbrake linkage (near the propshaft) by about an inch and a half, it works fine now.

Attachments

• Handbrake 001.jpg
    Handbrake 001.jpg
    678.7 KB · Views: 51

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Wes,
I have 280zx calipers on the back....found handbrake lever was too vertical (in the car), even adjusting would only pull the pads onto the discs, e.g not taking up enough slack. Currently my handbrake and linkage is being modified to remove slack without affecting the pull on the cable. Changing to discs seems to change the geometry of how they work, compared to drums.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Wes,
I found handbrake lever was too vertical. Changing to discs seems to change the geometry of how they work, compared to drums.

Ian, mine too would come all the way to vertical without clamping the discs. By modding the linkage as my previous photo that was rectified completely. I don't think anything else is needed.

datsun dave

Club Member
I have the 280zx disc conversion on my set up i swoped over and crossed the hand brake cables so the right hand side now goes to the left and the original left cable goes to the right side of the car.

Hope this helps.

Wes

Well-Known Forum User
I'll make a Rob style adjusterment and hopefully be all good.

I'll post the results here.

Thanks,

Wes

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Rob/Wes,
I can't really tell what the photo shows, as it is a bit large.... Part of mine is re-welding the pivot arm attached to the handbrake lever, from say 7 to 8 o'clock. Before mod handbrake worked, but felt no resistance at all when the handbrake lever pulled. Now have plenty of resistance, and fully applied on the 3/4 th click.

Wes

Well-Known Forum User
Ian,

Its just a short extension on the bottom of the handbrake. The additional length then means it gets more travel when you pull it up.
Turn the image 90degrees clockwise and you'd be looking from the handbrake to the back of the car.

Wes

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Ian,

Its just a short extension on the bottom of the handbrake. The additional length then means it gets more travel when you pull it up.
Wes

Yep that's it. The gold bolt goes through the original clevis pin hole. Just need to drill another hole for a second bolt to stop it twisting. I put a small kink in the extension too to keep a central alignment.

It looks rough it was just to try it out, I've now built it out of Titanium and it's adonized bright red ;). Actually that blue bit is some ironwork off a 280ZX (PS pump bracket I think).

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
I've now built it out of Titanium and it's adonized bright red
Damn, thats Rob Hughes and me screwed

Joking aside Rob, thats a good cheap mod and everyone with a rear disc setup should fit it without question