London classic car show

datsfun

Club Member
Yes I did, but what I was kind of getting at nice to see some s30's.

You have better odds at getting a second referendum on Brexit when compared to seeing a s30 ( or for that matter a Japanese classic) at this show:smash::rolleyes:

Last year was slightly different as the theme was "nations" and so they had to get a few Japanese cars to support the theme.

I hope I am proved wrong.;)

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I've managed to acquire free tickets for the Thursday so I'll head over there after work and be there until it closes.

If there's any S30's I'll be sure to let people know, not sure quite what to expect though having not been before.

uk66fastback

Club Member
The one I went to, which was the first one a couple of years ago was enjoyable, but full of much more exotic machinery than say, the NEC shows. But Lunnun, innit ... £££££££££

Not to say it wasn't a goood day out, but not as enjoyable for me as roaming round other ones with more affordable classics and where I have more in common with the owners ... i.e. A lot less money!

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
For those interested I did make it there on Thursday evening and spent 5 hours there with my dad till it closed. It was a really good evening and show, albeit very much a static event, there was a runway up the centre of the main hall, however it was nothing more than parading various different cars up there.

I'm sure the big question is 'were there any S30's'. Unfortunately there were not, JDM cars lacked in presence almost entirely, the only JDM car I saw was a very early Mazda Rotary parade up the runway and that was it :(

It is a very upmarket show, with some very big ticket brands and restoration companies showing off and selling their wares. I would say as a general there were lots of Astons, Ferrari's, Porche's, Jag's, Healey's and Merc's. There was a good showing from almost all brands though (via JDM) and it was great to have a wander round and chat to some very interesting people about some fantastic projects.

There was quite a decent presence of good Replica's which definitely brought the experience of owning some of the well known priceless historic's into budget and made it a reality for many. There were definitely quite a few where if I had the budget I would be considering.

Certainly it was a show for those intending to splash some serious cash, and I spent my theoretical Euro Millions win several times over. I've added some pics below of things that caught my eye for one reason of another...

Car of the show for me was neither the most expensive or the most crazy but the blue resto modded alfa romeo (pictured below) which was really tastefully restored and been upgraded significantly with the engine producing 220bhp, it just looked stunning :D

Last edited by a moderator:

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
It's a simple case for getting the Z Club to get a stand up there like a load of other clubs, that's all they've done

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Great pics Woody.

Cheers, not too shabby for a phone :D

That's a shame but some fantastic pictures, thanks for letting me know.

Not a problem, hopefully attitudes will change however I don't ever see the S30 chassis picking up a huge UK following owing to the brand, and the fact that there are a limited number of affordable RHD cars which for most would be a deal breaker :(

It's a simple case for getting the Z Club to get a stand up there like a load of other clubs, that's all they've done

There were two shows combined this year, the clubs were all under the Historic show I believe... God knows ho much they paid for the privilege! Also there's the logistical nightmare of getting cars into central London and manning a stand for 4 days... A bit much for a lot of people.

Based on your username I thought you may appreciate this one, looked awesome with the headlight covers!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator

Yeah, simple!

There were two shows combined this year, the clubs were all under the Historic show I believe... God knows how much they paid for the privilege! Also there's the logistical nightmare of getting cars into central London and manning a stand for 4 days... A bit much for a lot of people.

There are many reasons why this 'simple' task is not worth the effort. The main one being who wants to organise it - it's a bigger job than it may seem when just attending and walking around.

Last edited by a moderator:

uk66fastback

Club Member
The one thing it certainly iSN'T is simple! For anyone with the time and money, then it's achievable.

Having done a three-day NEC show a decade or so ago, there's a lot of both needed.

datsfun

Club Member
There are many reasons why this 'simple' task is not worth the effort. The main one being who wants to organise it - it's a bigger job than it may seem when just attending and walking around.

There is even a "simpler" answer. For a show that is held at prime location and targets clientele interested in investments in the £100k- £5m range, the costs of setting up a stand would be prohibitive. Period. :smash:

It's a very elitist show and I don't see them reaching out to the Japanese classics ( save for the odd Toyota 2000GT or genuine C10 GTR). Last year was an exception as they needed cars made in Japan.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
It was very apparent yesterday at Race Retro that there is a LOT of money about and it's currently being spent on 'classic' cars. I haven't looked at the results of the two auctions on site (Silverstone Auctions) but I bet the 'results' were eye-watering.

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Vipers are from a passed life. I saw the stand but too many spoilers and stickers for my liking

Rob, I'm not really suggesting it's simple nut if a presence was required then that's all it takes. From what I could see the clubs that were involved are big and wealthy, usually organised by the local members. It's an easy venue.

I was involved with the organisers last year as the wanted my Charger for the "6 Nations" display

Personally I would like to see a bit more of the bread and butter cars there but would pesonally hate to see the likes of the Austin Metro or Morris Marina clubs etc

I know they are keen to keep the profile high but I noticed they're losing a few key participants this year, notably Eagle and Nick Mee.

Sam_C

Club Member
I have been to all 3 shows held, and it is going downhill rapidly as a show worth attending.
All the interesting smaller stands no longer appear, maybe priced out? It is now just a marketplace for very expensive cars, I would estimate that 80% of the cars on display had prices stuck on them. Yes there was the odd unusual / rare gem in there, but once you've seen one immaculately restored E-type /Aston / Ferrari you've seen them all I'm afraid.

Long trip for me from Scarborough, won't be going again I'm afraid.