Leak!!

Jon_Flynn

Club Member
After going over a speedbump earlier (had to drive over it normally rather than going down the middle like I normally do) and hearing a bit of a thunk, the car now has a leak...

It's a LHD 280z, and after getting it home there is a leak dripping down from above the transmission but in the tunnel. It seems like it's only water - likely coolant, as the copper pipes inside the engine bay are now getting covered in condensation (either I never noticed this condensation before or it's new).

It only seems to do it whilst the car is running and the system is under pressure, but I can hear a slight hiss. Pic shows where the leak is on the floor, and it's coming from above there. Any advice on what to look for or what it could be under there is much appreciated. Hope to get it lifted at the weekend to look properly.

e9bf6b2d69cb2fa31e1679ee26547790.jpg

(Also, potentially unrelated, but my oil pressure gauge keeps fluctuating from a quarter to half, whereas I thought this should be static?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Are the copper pipes anything to do with an AC unit? They would surely condensate?Most modern cars with AC generally get water running out from under the car due to the evaporator.

Another question springs to mind is the car An Auto? Don't they have some sort of cooling?

Are the copper pipes anything to do with an AC unit? They would surely condensate?Most modern cars with AC generally get water running out from under the car due to the evaporator.

Another question springs to mind is the car An Auto? Don't they have some sort of cooling?

I think that could be it. Loads of cars with AC drip in this heat.

Jon_Flynn

Club Member

Yeah it does have AC which works, although the heater doesn't! Perhaps I'll monitor it over the next few days see if it comes/goes.

Car is a manual, so no worries on an autobox being the issue.

I'll try and get underneath it soon, just struggling for time at the moment.

Jon_Flynn

Club Member
I think that could be it. Loads of cars with AC drip in this heat.

Thanks. That's reassuring. I just didn't want it to be due to the speedbump knock. I'll monitor it for a couple of days see what's happening and get right under when I can to take a look.

Jon_Flynn

Club Member
Thanks mark that's really helpful. I'll get under the car and take a look tonight - hopefully be able to see where it's coming from and confirm that's it.