L28 ET project

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Guys
I thought I'd start a thread on my new project.
I have a buyer for my existing l28 NA engine and have decided to go the turbo route.
I'll be using an F54/P90 engine/ 2mm steel head gasket with a little skim to get a CR of 8.5:1
ECU is a Megasquirt II running fuel and spark control through supra 440cc injectors and a ford EDIS 6 ignition.
Turbo is a Holset HE351CW, similar to the HY35 but with an electronic boost solenoid. Standard fittment to Dodge Ram 5.7 ltr diesels from around 2004.
will be fitting a fuel cell with a Walbro 255ltr fuel pump.
Not decided which IC to use yet but will be as big as poss.

I'll wind it up on stock pistons, keep air/fuel as cool as possible, timing under control and see what it will kick out before it pops!

I'll post lots of pictures, will start in the next week or two.

Last edited by a moderator:

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
This might be just what you need?????;) ;)

:D :D :D

Attachments

• Dec misc 2006 055 (Medium).jpg
    Dec misc 2006 055 (Medium).jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 105

260Z TT

Club Member
Hi Pete,
Not going on mine! Mine is good and works great with a pair of T3's strapped on it. Have recently acquired a set of ARP head studs for it to make sure it stays in place at the strip!
Long time no see anyway matey!
Mark.:bow:

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Ah right! One of the engines I'm getting already has a recon p90:) and a set of new piston rings, so I should be good for a while.
Thanks for the offer though

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Here is the turbo I'm going to use
"60mm inducer / 85mm backface. The tubine housing is a 9cm^2.
Turbine wheel is a 65mm backface / 58mm inducer. "

Attachments

• holsetturbo.jpg
    holsetturbo.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 38

Mr.G

Club Member
Looks like a mean ol turbo there, is it water cooled too? Does it have a T3 flange?

Going back to fuel cell, will be great to see how you get on. Why fuel cell though? Is it because you want to get around the stock fuel tank not having baffles? I wouldnt mind one myself if it fits in the stock place with no issues. :)

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Seeing projects like this makes mine look "oh so simple" - buy a complete drivetrain and bolt it in.

I take my hat off to people like you, skiddy etc who understand engineering and pioneer things. AM really going to like watching this unfold. :bow:

350BHP from an L Series - awesome

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
PMAC , I wasn't looking at your screen name...of course I will be having your head and engine!! lol doh!

Last edited by a moderator:

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Fuel cell? yeah my fuel tank leaks when I put over £30 in it lol, I figured I will cut the wheel well out and a bit of the boot floor, weld some box section in to hold the celland then re-route the old filler pipe.
There isn't a great deal of the old.....or should I say rusty car left so cutting the floor out a the back doesn't bother me, I'm sure some people will spit their tea out when reading this:D

Pete, I may get a few days off next week, I'll give you a bell if I can pick the engine up on one of those days.
Cheers

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Zhead, I'm sure Skiddy understands a lot more then I do about engines, I'm just reading a lot on the subject and making sure I don't let it detonate to destruction. Luckily my brother has been building race engines for years so I quiz him for the stuff I don't understand..he has a reliable 470BHP 1.8 Seat turbo so he must be doing something right :) getting that power to the floor is another thing...wheel spinning in 5th is not good!

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Turbo, fuel pump and fuel regulator arrived today.....always nice when Mr Customs doesn't make any charges.
This is one big turbo!

Attachments

• bigholset2.jpg
    bigholset2.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 26

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Managed to get the MS ecu updated last night, Must be 300 pages of info to read on this thing!
Updating the software is pretty easy. You place a jumper on the MPU to bootload, connect a serial cable to your pc and run a program called MSii Download. takes about 2 mins. You then have to change the ini file in the megatune program to match you new software version.....the EDIS ignition system taken from a v6 ford is a good bit of kit, It will run stand alone in limphome mode at 10degrees BTDC.....when the megasquirt ecu is connect via 2 wires you can adjust the timing at any rpm range even on the fly whilst driving. It needs a 36 tooth -1 (1 mssing tooth) wheel fixed to the crank shaft pulley to operate....or a 72-2 on the dizzy shaft.

racer

Club Member
Fantastic! Glad to see someone doing a proper fully controlled turbo Lseries.
I know Top end performance claim 450 brake for some of there Turbo conversions( A bit optomistic) what do you hope for?

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks, I think 450 can be done with the right pistons and valves.
I'm going to aim for around the 350-400bhp mark, I just pulled my new turbo to bits so that I can enlarge the internal waste gate. As it is it's small and would give me boost creep problems, I may go external if the porting doesn't help. It's very easy to take apart as it has V-band clamps holding the housings in place.
Just waiting on my fuel rail and throttle body now.
I'm hoping to have it up and running by July.
Should make some good 1/4m times when its finished