I think my clutch is broken

Russell

Club Member
my 260z has developed an issue when pulling away the seems to get worse when it warms up.
When pulling away at any form of incline the rear diff rattles and sounds like it's trying to get into the car until the clutch is fully disengaged.
It really bangs aggressively which is going to be embarrassing trying to drive into the festival of transport tomorrow in Basingstoke.

There are no other symptoms at all and I can't really feel it through the pedal but surely clutch related?

Pulls fine with no slipping in any gear and no knocking at all when accelerating or backing off the throttle.

Just wondering if anyone has had that before and knows what it is. Pulling it apart on my drive will be challenging I'm sure.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
When you say 'full disengaged', do you mean the pedal fully released?

Russell

Club Member
Yeah, when the pedal is fully released its fine, changing gear is fine and pedal depressed is fine.

Just does it when releasing the pedal to pull away under load

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
So is it the diff mounting not the clutch?

You need to get the back end 'up' and get someone to take the clutch to 'biting point' with some load e.g. hand brake, whilst looking at the diff. Be careful though.

Failing that take it to a friendly garage and get them to get it on their ramp and check for worn/broken mountings.