How to turn the camshaft?

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
Engine newbie question. I want to check my valve clearances. How do you guys turn the camshaft with the engine in the car ? (Yes, with spark plugs removed and car in neutral gear and a clockwise turn)

1) By the camshaft bolt? I have read on general forums that this might cause bolt torque/shear issues. Though it seems to be the way to go on You tube L series vids

2) By the crankshaft bolt ?

3)Put the car in a high gear and rock it forward to turn the engine/ cam

4)Remote starter (don't fancy this option)

I am leaning toward 3. Any advise/tips would be welcome.

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
Take the plugs out and turn it with the crank pulley nut, should do the trick

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Take the plugs out and turn it with the crank pulley nut, should do the trick

Yes I do that, but one day I left the spanner on. When I started the car it swung around, touched the chassis leg and the crank bolt undid. :eek:

If you have the standard fan you may scratch the back of your hands to bits.:eek:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
+1 for the crank nut.
Leaving the socket and wrench on the crank nut is my number #2 regular fail after Z maintenance. Luckily starting it with the wrench attached undoes the nut, so easily fixed with the torque wrench.

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks all for the steer. I'll go with the crank nut option. I turned it a bit with a big 1 and 1/8" ring spanner which I found at the bottom of a rusty toolbox. Just ordered a 27mm socket to do it properly.

My fail is sometimes driving off car ramps with axle stands (the extra fail safety net) still under the car. oops. There might be a separate thread in this........