Hicas

chEASY22

Forum User
Hi All,

Firstly apologies to the Moderator's if I have put this in the incorrect section!

I have a 1990 300zx TT T-Top, which is in need full suspension replacement. While I am doing this I thought I may as well "upgrade" to Super HICAS, as opposed to the hydraulic HICAS I currently have.

Can someone confirm whether this is a straight swap, or will there be issues with chassis mounting points and ECU compatibility?

Cheers

MarkDerby

Well-Known Forum User
no swap on that one as the super hicas is electric

most drivers tend to remove the hicas just depending on what they want from there car

chEASY22

Forum User
Thanks for your reply Mark, I thought as much.

I will most likely go down the HICAS removal route, though hopefully my HICAS set up is working better than it looks! I would be using it for fast road use (I live in the Isle of Man) and track days so I could live with either set-up really.

Mr HollowPoint

Well-Known Forum User
If you want it for fast road and track use, you have two real options mate, first and best option IMHO is to remove it completely with a Driftworks lockout kit, which replaces the rack, tie rods and ball joints, with bushes. The other option, if you like HICAS, is to fully restore the HICAS. Get the rear rack refurbished/replaced, upgrade the tie rods to adjustables, refresh the ball joints in the rear subframe.

SLICKTOP

Well-Known Forum User
Another option you have is to fit the N/A rear subframe diff ect, this has no HICAS just track rods in its place which can be replaced cheaply with adjustable rods if a little "toe in" is required, also the set up has the added benifit of the N/A diff, it's gear ratio allows the TT to accelerate faster but trades off on top speed.

Mr HollowPoint

Well-Known Forum User
Another option you have is to fit the N/A rear subframe diff ect, this has no HICAS just track rods in its place which can be replaced cheaply with adjustable rods if a little "toe in" is required, also the set up has the added benifit of the N/A diff, it's gear ratio allows the TT to accelerate faster but trades off on top speed.

Indeed, I forgot about that. Good opportunity to put brand new bushes in the thing and powder coat it before it goes on that way too.

Mr HollowPoint

Well-Known Forum User
I've thought about it and nearly done it twice, but I bought the driftworks kit and I found the NA diff to be a bit twitchy on the TT tbh. Still might do it when the driftworks kit finally dies, lol.

chEASY22

Forum User
If you want it for fast road and track use, you have two real options mate, first and best option IMHO is to remove it completely with a Driftworks lockout kit, which replaces the rack, tie rods and ball joints, with bushes. The other option, if you like HICAS, is to fully restore the HICAS. Get the rear rack refurbished/replaced, upgrade the tie rods to adjustables, refresh the ball joints in the rear subframe.

I had looked at the Driftworks kit, it certainly seems the best quality and I could get the other adjustable goodies while I am at it. I have no idea whether or not I like HICAS so I can't say that I would miss it!

chEASY22

Forum User

I had also forgotten about this option, but it sounds very tempting to me! How available are the N/A subframes and diffs and what can i expect to pay? As it it may work out better value to buy the HICAS delete kit from Driftworks.
I have worked out the gearing with the TT diff and with the NA diff. With my current wheels/tyres I would be looking at 190mph @ 7,000 vs 170mph @ 7,000. And before you ask, yes I have confidence that the engine produces enough power to reach that, and no, I do not know of a public road long enough/safe enough to do it on!

z32bolt

Well-Known Forum User
Long enough isn't an issue, they just pul and pull and pull haha, but safely...well yeah not on a public road no. I'm not sure if any uk tracks would allow a long enough straight, thruxton has quite Abigail straight doesn't it.

chEASY22

Forum User
There is no maximum speed limit in derestricted zones in the IOM, so legally I could go as fast as the car/road/nerves would allow, but tracks are for racing, not roads.
I live in the Isle of Man, so if I was travelling to the mainland I would probably keep on going in to Europe and try the car out at Spa or Nordschleife.
Ebay is the next stop, searching for subframes ect. I want to get this project rolling as it has been sitting around for nearly a year now!