Hi

High boost hero

Forum User
Hi everyone!

Still on the hunt for my first Z car but thought this would be the best place to start!

I'm after a 240z so will be scouring the classifieds however any help finding one would be appreciated!:thumbs:

If there are any London meets I'll be sure to pop along!!

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Hi and welcome.

I've only just purchased my first 240z with my dad (arriving next week) and recently been in a similar position to you. Lots of friendly and very knowledgeable people on here imo.

What sort of car are you looking for? UK, USA, JDM spec? Do you have any requirements in mind? age, colour, standard or modified? and what sort of budget did you have in mind?

All of the above makes it easier for everyone to know what sort of specification your after. I ended up purchasing a 1971 USA car as it fitted all of my requirements and seemed to be the largest most accessible market for 240Z's with prices generally lower, albeit the exchange rate has changed that somewhat given recent political affairs. West coast cars generally tend to have less rust etc. UK and JDM cars will be more expensive however have the added bonus of being RHD and usually higher specification over US market cars. Don't be scared of sourcing your own car from overseas and importing, the process has been relatively straight forward for me so far. There's also a few very helpful US forums if you chose to go down that path on that side of the pond.

All the above said, most on here will be far more knowledgeable than me and hopefully along shortly to help out.

Where abouts in London are you? I'm in Surrey, working in London and wondering the same. Would be great to meet some other owners and kick some tyres :cheers:

SacCyclone

Club Member
Hi,
If your in the market for a left hooker from Cali I will have one for sale in a month or so. 72 240Zed all original with 4 speed. One blow over in factory blue but is a 20 footer paint job. No accidents, no rust and un-cracked dash and beautiful interior !!!!! Car has great history with one previous owner. Message me for more information.

Good luck with the search.

Mike

High boost hero

Forum User
Thanks for all the responses guys, I'm after one that has a clean shell don't mind minor stuff but ideally want to avoid putting new floors in etc!

I don't have an infinite budget but ideally I would like to run an RB sleeper car whilst keeping it as factory as possible. Something I could use daily if need be!

I'm only in west London but regularly go for a few blasts in and around the Surrey area when I have something which can make good pace!

High boost hero

Forum User
And I have my RHD car for sale. It's on eBay / PH and carandclassic. Gary

Could you PM me a link?

Where abouts in London are you? I'm just outside. What type of car are you after?

West London, but happy to travel for the right car. I want to drop an RB in for reliability so I could use it for the commute at times. Ideally RHD but happy with LHD if the right car comes along at the right money!

There's a red rhd car on eBay that looks OK as a start point, horrird sunroof fitted though. I'd go along knowing what you're looking for and with some weak magnets!

High boost hero

Forum User
I can't see an rb being any more reliable than an l series?

I've had a lot more experience with the RB engine so I am quite comfortable with it. I wouldn't know how to setup a carb etc.

There's a red rhd car on eBay that looks OK as a start point, horrird sunroof fitted though. I'd go along knowing what you're looking for and with some weak magnets!

I saw that. Getting in touch today. Would need to be rid of that sun roof!!!

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
That red one on eBay looks rotten and patched very poorly. Nothing lined up right so expect the worse when stripping it.
Unless you want a very rotten RHD project you'll be looking for a lhd car at that kind of money and it will still be a project.

Wyn

Club Member
In which case the 1JZ or 2 JZ wins as it's a lot more reliable at high boost compared to the RB:smash:

Go for the RB.
2.5 is cheap and will see 500 + which is enough for an old Z car on the road
Plus all the parts are easy to find as are the conversion kits

1JZ just doesn't look right in a Z imo (sorry jon :D)

2JZ will cost more then the car lol

johnymd

Club Member
I would agree with you Wyn.

Having owned a RB25 powered skyline I think they are great engines and the box to go with it is easy to get and cheap.

As much as I love the 1jz, the gearboxes are extremely expensive or you are stuck with an auto.

Plus, as Wyn says, the RB keeps it in the family.

High boost hero

Forum User
RB does keep it in the family.

I have been looking at prices they really have shot up in the past year or 2. Would go close to double for a rhd providing it was solid!

Ideally I would like a rolling shell so if anyone has one in their garden let me know!! I've just sorted storage so doesn't need to be mobile! Time to stick the truck up for sale and fire up the Oyster card!! :D

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
I paid 900 quid 5 years ago for my old white RHD car - HUGE project but not too dissimilar to the white one that sold recently on eBay for 9000! Which I though was FAR over priced.

Even for a rolling shell that isn't a patchwork car you'll be looking at good money now - if I had rot free RHD shell in the garage I know I wouldn't sell it for 10k...might just be because I like hoarding things though!

I have a LHD car that's never been touched and has no welding. I think I got it for a steal about 6 months ago and I wouldn't sell it now for half of what I paid for it.

Keep looking though as we all love to follow new build threads on here! If anything comes up I'll certainly fire you a PM! Steer clear of that red car though :rofl: looks like it fell in half once before....