Hello!

Gus

Forum User
Hi there, just a quick hello!

My name's Angus, and although I currently don't own a z... :( I am definitely on a thorough look out for one!

I'm only 20 years young, but since passing my driving test 3 years ago have been completely encapsulated by classic cars, and have done full ground-up restorations of a 1985 mini, 1989 mini cooper, half way through a Triumph TR6, and also a Triumph TR4A... I also started a Porsche 924, but it just wasn't cutting it for me. But ever since I can remember an early Fairlady or "zetto" has always been my dream car! And after a VERY long time saving all my pocket money, am nearly hopefully in a postition to buy one!

I'm currently a student (just to add to the economical difficulties of my car-addiction) studying a masters in physics oop north in Durham, but am otherwise based in my small garage, at my parents house in Birmingham :p.

Apart from driving them, my favourite part of classic car ownership is the car forums! Hence how I have ended up on here (having already read most of the posts) I suppose you could say it's almost an addiction, most of the guys at uni think it's strange when instead of doing other "student-y" activities such as *cough* studying, I spend most of my time looking at pictures of other people removing rusty pieces of car.. (A very common sight on Triumph and Mini forums I can assure you)!

Anyway, I'm sorry for the lengthy post! And thoroughly look forward to getting involved with the forum and club, especially when I finally manage to find myself a "zetto"!

Kind regards
Gus

Gus

Forum User
If I can get one before 24 I will be both amazed, and extremely happy! :D Especially since looking at the prices right now...

And sorry I should have asked at the start! Do I have to own one before joining the club? Thing is, I'd love to start getting some magazines to read! :D Actually tell a lie... I'd love to get some pictures of some zeds through the post to look at!

Cheers

toopy

Club Member
Do I have to own one before joining the club? Thing is, I'd love to start getting some magazines to read! :D Actually tell a lie... I'd love to get some pictures of some zeds through the post to look at

No you don't have to own one to join :)

Unfortunately the club no longer produces a proper printed magazine, it became to expensive

Welcome and good luck finding a Z :driving:

I got my car when i was 25, only had the one, still have it!

Gus

Forum User
Thanks for all the replies guys! (Shame about the magazines, but not too worry), still plenty around on the internet! :D

Would love to see one in the flesh at some point! :rolleyes: Will keep my eyes open for some of the meets on here, and hopefully something will come up! And will set about joining the club tomorrow I think!

Ped

Club Member
Hi Gus, and welcome to the club. I am sure the guys on here would like to see some pics of your non Z cars, well I would anyway! You could put them up on Anything and Everything. Good luck with the buying your first Zed. :thumbs:

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
nice to hear your enthusiasm for vintage gus and i hope you find a z soon.

gturner008

Well-Known Forum User
Great enthusiasm. I wish I had fed by classic car dreams earlier. Welcome on board.

Think a 240z is also a wise long term investment if you choose the right one.

Gus

Forum User
Thanks guys!

Now I guess it's just a question of waiting for the right one to come up! Keeping my eyes very peeled! :D

Gus

Forum User
Okay guys I think I've found a pretty good potential 260z project, which I'm going to go and check out next weekend! If it's how it is in the pictures the seller has sent me/how he has described it then I'm almost certain I will be happy to buy it (which is very exciting!!) :willynilly:

If not then the search continues, but he seems like a really nice genuine guy and the car looks pretty salvageable in the pictures so fingers crossed!

chappo123

Well-Known Forum User
Welcome Gus, that's a pretty impressive list of restorations for a 20 year old. My son is with you at Durham in his first year doing the same course as you - don't know how you fit in the hobby, he seems pretty busy with the workload!

I'm just starting on my first refurb at the age of 53 although have limited ability and space to deal with some of the bodywork problems. My interest is in Z31's, but certainly a 260 will be a better investment.
good luck with it and post lots of pics as you progress it.

Last edited by a moderator:

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Nice to see nippers into classic cars....quite a rare thing. 2 of my boys now 22 and 17 are totally bonker about classics and own a few

Gus

Forum User
Welcome Gus, that's a pretty impressive list of restorations for a 20 year old. My son is with you at Durham in his first year doing the same course as you - don't know how you fit in the hobby, he seems pretty busy with the workload!

I'm just starting on my first refurb at the age of 53 although have limited ability and space to deal with some of the bodywork problems. My interest is in Z31's, but certainly a 240 will be a better investment.
good luck with it and post lots of pics as you progress it.

Thanks Chappo! Goodness me, just shows what a small world it is! Yeah the last couple of years I've struggled to find much time, but usually manage to get a few weeks in during the summer hols! I love Z31s too, they're awesome looking cars!

By the way, as I'm now in my 3rd year everything your son will be doing I should have done a year or so ago so if he ever has any problems with the work or anything then please feel free to drop me a message and I could see if I can help! :) Plus it would always be useful for me to re-visit some old material to stay on top of it all!

Kind regards

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Okay guys I think I've found a pretty good potential 260z project, which I'm going to go and check out next weekend! If it's how it is in the pictures the seller has sent me/how he has described it then I'm almost certain I will be happy to buy it (which is very exciting!!) :willynilly:

If not then the search continues, but he seems like a really nice genuine guy and the car looks pretty salvageable in the pictures so fingers crossed!

Welcome to the club Gus - and good luck in your hunt for a Z. You will never own a better-looking sports car! As for the project you are going to look at, might be worth taking a load of pictures of it (particularly of the rot spots) and posting them on here as there are plenty of very knowledgeable members (and I don't include myself) who may be able to give you an idea of how restorable it is before you part with any cash. Just a thought.
By the way - if you are ever up Manchester way let me know and I would be happy to take you out for a blast in mine.

Gus

Forum User
Welcome to the club Gus - and good luck in your hunt for a Z. You will never own a better-looking sports car! As for the project you are going to look at, might be worth taking a load of pictures of it (particularly of the rot spots) and posting them on here as there are plenty of very knowledgeable members (and I don't include myself) who may be able to give you an idea of how restorable it is before you part with any cash. Just a thought.
By the way - if you are ever up Manchester way let me know and I would be happy to take you out for a blast in mine.

Thank you Riddler!! Next time I'm in Manchester I'll be sure to take you up on that one! :thumbs:

I would absolutely love any advice people can offer on the pictures, but I'd rather not post pictures up publically without the seller's permission (as it is still his car after all). But if anyone would be willing, I'd be incredibly grateful to discuss it privately (just drop me a message) as all of you guys will know far more than I do about specific things to look out for on the zeds!