Hello to all

kitesurfer

Well-Known Forum User
Hello Folks,
Just thought I would introduce myself as a new member and owner of a 240z. Its taken many years but I have finally been able to take ownership of a ca that I have always wished to own.
The last and only time I drove one of these cars was when I was 18 years old. A mate of mine had just bought one and asked if I woul like a drive. Awesome!! As an owner at the time of an 850cc mini the drive has stayed with me all these years, especially the howl of the engine. I recall that the speedo didnt work and I remember changing gear to fourth after red lining in 3rd. Seemed fun at the time but not too responsible considering it was in London....different times!!!
The car I have bought is increadibly rust free with only two rust holes. One in the door, easily fixable and the one I took a chance with at the bottom of the wing. As you can see from the photos I took after taking the wings off this morning not a patch of rust, even surface rust...remarkable considering the history of these cars and rust problems. I've now inspected the whole car and its absolutely clean...phew!!
The engine is an L28 running dual 32/36 webers. My first job was to rebuild them and I have had the car running. Low tickover is jot great but I think this is due to the mass of pipes not yet sorted concerning the emission control but I hope to post future help postings to sort this emission control issue.
I'm also discovering some shoddy workmanship with bolts not correctly done up and I've just discovered the crank pulley bolt missing!!! When the car started I was greated with a horrible knocking noise. Immediate compression test reulted in all cylinders between 175 and 178psi so all good there. Turned out to be a rocker with a 6mm gap!! Now sorted and engine sweet again.
All ancillaries work except the clock. Removed it, all looks good but just wont work. Any suggestions for a good place to have it repaired ? On the plus side the blaupunkt period stereo fired up once I connected it correctly and was nice to see the aerial pop up.
My short term plan is to have the car tested and registered for April so I can enjoy it. Although its a left hooker I'm really pleased as it makes it feel that bit different + europe beckons for some nice trips. Long term I will restore it from the ground up but that will be several years from now as I'm restoring an Alfa spider series 2 and having a young family time is a premium. I feel as long as I can protect the vulnerable parts everthing will be in place for a straightforward restoration.
Lots of postings to come I'm afraid as I am an enthusiast and not a professional when it comes to mechanics and bodywork!!

Attachments

• 2016-10-08 13.34.25.jpg
    2016-10-08 13.34.25.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 101
  • 20161127_104115.jpg
    20161127_104115.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
  • 20161127_104038.jpg
    20161127_104038.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 71
  • 20161125_155002.jpg
    20161125_155002.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 73

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Welcome - thrilled you have finally got the car of your dreams. Hope you get it sorted and it gives you lots of pleasure. It is a 240 then, not a US 260 or a 280? It is just that I don't recall seeing that chrome side strip on a 240 before.

kitesurfer

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for the reply. Definitely a 240z as the VIN number checks out as it should.
There is one about two miles away from me which is (possibly was) for sale, as per the attached photo, showing chrome strips. The silver one is one of the first 12000 built and looked in very good condition. Tempted me but on balance I thought I would do better visiting the states and buying there. Then along came the one I bought which hit the breakeven point after doing all the maths so I took a chance. No regrets from my point of view. Loads of new parts on it which I'm still discovering!!

Attachments

• 20160804_144039.jpg
    20160804_144039.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32

kitesurfer

Well-Known Forum User
240 clocks are renowned for failing. I have a working one for sale if you need it.

Hi Nigel,
Thank you for the offer. I am definitely interested. Still trying to understand this site. Are you able to PM message me with a price please?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Hi and welcome - a lot of 240Zs had these bolted on and there are different forms/sizes of them too.

Must be a late '73 car judging from the bumper set-up. She looks solid but have a very close look at the rear of the sills before the rear wheelarches.

And if you're coming to Euroland and enjoy the open roads, be sure to let us know well in advance if you want to meet up.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi kitesurfer, welcome to the Club (although we have emailed beforehand). Did you see my reply re Lancia?

That looks a decent car of yours and I like the silver one too.

The Z scene is getting like the British sports car scene, with lots of LHD cars now over here. I've looked at the DVLA stats and the 240Z is on the increase, it would be interesting to know the RHD/LHD proportions.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
The Z scene is getting like the British sports car scene, with lots of LHD cars now over here. I've looked at the DVLA stats and the 240Z is on the increase, it would be interesting to know the RHD/LHD proportions.

Sooooo.....LHD remains popular.:cool:

kitesurfer

Well-Known Forum User
Hi kitesurfer, welcome to the Club (although we have emailed beforehand). Did you see my reply re Lancia?

That looks a decent car of yours and I like the silver one too.

Hi Rob,
Yes nice to make contact the other night and thanks for your help. The Lancia sounded interesting. This day and age they would probably have an engine change inside 2 minutes with the support crew being the population of a small town. I've yet to complete the brakes on mine as I will invest in stainless steel ones that dont corrode. Can be a problem on Fulvia's.
Regards
Nick

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-08-04-13-48-47.png
    Screenshot_2016-08-04-13-48-47.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 26

kitesurfer

Well-Known Forum User
Hi and welcome - a lot of 240Zs had these bolted on and there are different forms/sizes of them too.

Must be a late '73 car judging from the bumper set-up. She looks solid but have a very close look at the rear of the sills before the rear wheelarches.

And if you're coming to Euroland and enjoy the open roads, be sure to let us know well in advance if you want to meet up.

Hi Sean,
Thanks for the welcome.
You are correct in your assumption, although for arguments sake its May 1973.
Thank you for your advise. I will have a very close look at the rear sills but my initial inspection hasn't shown any concerns.

Euroland is definitely on the cards next year and beyond in an attempt to enlighten my children to the world beyond their computer tablets!!! My brother and sister-in-law have a house near Angouleme. Give you a shout nearer the time.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
I'm 2 1/2 hrs north West of you and I owe Angoulême a visit for the Circuit des Remparts, maybe even the BD exposition : there is a very cute sept '73 260Z 2x seater living there......or eff it and we'll go on the Circuit de Haute-Saintonge, run by the Beltoise family :

https://www.google.fr/maps/dir/Circ...0x405d39260eec0f0!2m2!1d0.1562369!2d45.648377

No LMC this year so why don't we organise a joint French/UK club visit to Circuit des Remparts ? 15-17th September. Sounds like a plan :D. Will start another thread for anyone interested in events forum.

DaveP

Club Member
Hi and welcome I have a 74 240 in blue metallic but my car has no paint code sticker ,do you know what paint code is on your Z ?if you do
I'd be grateful if you would tell me as I'm mid prepping a respray Dave P

kitesurfer

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Dave,
Hopefully I can help you but I wont be able to check until Friday afternoon.
Let you know what I can find. :)

kitesurfer

Well-Known Forum User
Hi and welcome I have a 74 240 in blue metallic but my car has no paint code sticker ,do you know what paint code is on your Z ?if you do
I'd be grateful if you would tell me as I'm mid prepping a respray Dave P
Colour 115
Regards
Nick

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk