Hello from California!

Marlin3

Forum User
Hello,

Growing up I always wanted a project car, preferably American muscle. Never had the opportunity nor the funds to work on cars as a kid, so I entered adulthood with little knowledge as how to fix the simplest of tasks, headlights, oil, battery, etc.

I was stationed overseas for a few years in Japan. Building up a modest amount of capital my dream of owning a project led me to the internet, where I'd often spend nights browsing away, figuring out what the average price was for a Challenger or a Shelby Mustang.

Low and be hold one day I searched for the fastest classic cars under $5000, and up popped what would become my new obsession...1970's 240z. The sleek lines, the sloped back, the way the headlight buckets resembled bullets, and the silver mirrors on the fenders, I knew at that point I needed one.

I spent the good amount of my last year in Japan looking through Craigslist, checking the prices back home and developing a mental average of what I would be able to get, where, and for how much. I also started reaching out to people in the service who knew a great deal about cars and started prying for knowledge, how does an engine work? What is a radiator? How do you disconnect a battery without blowing yourself up? I've built a pretty big database of z car images, to use as inspiration for my own project.

The day after I got back to the states I went out to look at a 240z living in the desert of inland CA. I knew when I saw it had to be mine.

After a couple bumps here and there I decided to let her sit for a bit as I rebuild her to a modest level before taking her to the road again.

I mainly post over at HybridZ under the pseudonym Marlin2, as more of my parts are starting to be imported from Europe I figured I'd come over here to expand on the wealth of knowledge.

I think that's winded enough, here's what you're looking for:

1971 240z
Paint: 918 Orange
Block: P30 2.4L
Head: E31
Transmission: '77-80 "wide ratio" 5-speed
Triple DHLA 45 M

As not to take up more space on the internet, here you'll find my build thread. As of now it's pretty modest, and without pictures. Photography is not my best skill, it's hard to put down the wrench to pick up a camera.

Thanks for reading!

Marlin

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Triple 45s on an L24 ? At least they're Dellortos - I loved mine.:thumbs:

FYI, fit a battery cut-off switch - then you can leave it for 6 months ;)

Love the colour.

Marlin3

Forum User
Triple 45s on an L24 ? At least they're Dellortos - I loved mine.:thumbs:

FYI, fit a battery cut-off switch - then you can leave it for 6 months ;)

Love the colour.

The intent is to swap them onto a RB in the future, and turn my l24 into a coffee table..

Sean, I like to just take the battery with me.. :roll eyes: Or as it stands now, have all the fluids drained out and slave disconnected!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Or wtf are you not driving it for 6 months ?

As for the coffee table, you have a VERY sympathetic wife.........

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
A bit excessive yes, but allows for block upgrades :). They can be made to work well on L24.
I think they're too small for an L31. 48s would be the thing.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
A bit excessive yes, but allows for block upgrades :). They can be made to work well on L24.
I think they're too small for an L31. 48s would be the thing.

Agreed for block upgrades but I still prefer the right tools on the day for the right job.....and I'm onto injection now so 45s or 48s on my are irrelevant.;)