Handbrake problem

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
It seems only one side works properly, the wheel on the other side can still be moved (albeit with a lot of force). I've adjusted both sides at the cylinder but the only way to get the problem side to lock properly is to adjust it up until there is resistance on the wheel even when the handbrake is off.

Am I right in thinking the cable is one length rather than two separate cables? If so, is cable stretch unlikely seeing as one side works fine?

Mr HollowPoint

Well-Known Forum User
Have you checked the brake shoes and inside of the hubs? Could just be that one side has glazed over and is no longer giving the appropriate amount of grip.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
I replaced the shoes and cleaned up the inside of the drums with carb cleaner and wire wool. Is it possible the cable is binding on that side? It looks like a bit of a mission to remove, I assume the prop shaft has to come off :(

richiep

Club Member
A binding cable on one side is entirely possible. That contributed to the issues I was having with my rear disc conversion earlier this year - the cable was moving very little on one side due to corrosion within the sleeve. Luckily, brute force and WD40 sorted the issue. Try disconnecting the cable on the suspect side and seeing if it is moving freely.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
I have the suspension off at the moment and the cable moves fine. The lever it attaches to on the cylinder also moves ok.

Could it be because I cleaned out the cylinder and pushed the piston all the way in, and the brakes haven't been pumped since then?