Half-shaft (drive shaft in Nissan-speak)

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Ye gods, I think I've started half the threads in this section... oh well, might as well make another :p

What sort of grease can I use to pack a half-shaft, CV or bearing grease? I have some high moly CV grease, it seems better suited than bearing grease - will that be suitable?

johnymd

Club Member
Been thinking the same thing. The only advice I can give is that when I took the end cap off the brand new Nissan CV shaft I found virtually no grease inside. Just a very light coating on the parts and no excess anywhere. If you can imagine the small sachet that comes with driveshaft boots then this will give you an idea of how little you need.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
My half-shaft was packed full when I started to take it apart, wouldn't all the ball bearings and spacers get destroyed if they weren't completely covered?

Huw

Club Member
Hiya

I would recommend a moly based CV grease, pack some into the bearings and some into the boot. Don't over pack it, don't need loads.

Huw

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Um, "drive shaft" is English, not nissan speak.
Anyway, I vaguely recall the service manual has a pic of how to pack them.
That could be just the wheel bearings though.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Well everyone I know refers to the prop shaft as the drive shaft...

The FSM says 10g of grease in the grooves and 35g in some kind of space at the end. 10g seems like hardly anything.

Nidge74

New Forum User
Well everyone I know refers to the prop shaft as the drive shaft...

Driveshaft is what the prop is called in the US. I think "half-shaft" may also be a US term. (so called because there is one for each side of the car, half the drive each)

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
It must be because I work at a car plant belonging to the blue oval so everything is in US terms.

Happy Independence Day by the way, we have that over here right? :p

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Absolutely. It's very important to us that the Philipines is independent.