Got a new motor!

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Well, having parted with my 260Z a while ago, you may recall I bought a 1972 Rover 3500S. I have still got the Rover and drive it a lot, and I’m still into classic cars – but now I have retired I decided I also needed something modern on the driveway that I could use when the weather was bad or generally whenever it wasn’t appropriate to get the classic out.
I was going to buy a boring little hatchback but couldn’t bring myself to do it.
So in the end I bought this, a Toyota GT86 on a 15 plate. I am very pleased with it. I have admired the look of them for a while, it is quite Z like in appearance, and it’s great fun to drive.

Attachments

• 6BF32C91-DD07-4E7A-B2C0-97C3054E9E60.jpeg
    6BF32C91-DD07-4E7A-B2C0-97C3054E9E60.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 75

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Nice wheels, I love the colour :thumbs:

They're meant to be fantastic cars (being a Toyota fan boy I would say that though). I've not been out in a stock one however a friend has a supercharged one running about 280bhp which I have been out in and had a play with before in my MR2 several times, I was very impressed, you get an awful lot for your money and his had bags of torque all the way through the rev range with the super charger.

I can see why you'd want one as a fun daily, makes a nice change from a lot of the over priced modern rubbish available.

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Rear wheel drive too. And you can turn off all the traction/other computer stuff if you want to.

TimW

Club Member
Very nice Rob..:thumbs:

Looks a lot of fun. One of my favourite cars was a Supra, good in the day and Toyota engines are bullet proof.

Enjoy your extra free time, wait... looks like you already are!... :)

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Incredible cars Rob!!! Great purchase!

My buddy races one semi-professionally in Japan, he's obsessed. Given he was one of Honda's test drivers for the S2000 he is quite a connoisseur of such things and thinks it's one of the best handling cars out there!

If you ever wondered what it looks like striped down ...

35ffdfb24434f43f6fcbcf5314717f31.jpg

13915302644f90390e52dc1a2551d1b6.jpg

And that exhaust system, to die for but loud ;)

3ef881e47dfc2294b4d35ea00ce6466c.jpg

Although if you plan to track her, stock brake pads generate huge heat. This was him taking it easy for 4 laps at Motegi circuit when he first got the car ....

79e4567fe92c2c91d216cd9fa1fe10d0.png

I'm guessing you won't be getting that hot on the way to Waitrose :p

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
You’re dead right. Though coming out of the car park there on a rainy day I did try the sport mode that turns off all the traction control and as I hit the gas the back end did a very satisfying twitch! Almost spilt my groceries!

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
They are a decent motor apparently.

Well done, :driving:

Thanks Rob. I may drive down to see you in it one day. But will I let you drive it? I don’t think so! Last time I was down there you drove me round the back lanes near your house in that Samuri. The problem is, the GT86 does not have a brown interior…

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Thanks Rob. I may drive down to see you in it one day. But will I let you drive it? I don’t think so! Last time I was down there you drove me round the back lanes near your house in that Samuri. The problem is, the GT86 does not have a brown interior…

I would like a drive in it Rob, I could compare it with my 350 and 370. :bow:It think it would suite me more having narrower wheels.