Got a modified L series? please look in...

datsfun

Club Member
If you are running a modified L series, I am interested to find out how you have plumbed or dealt with the valve cover ventilation. Is it simply a K+N air filter venting to atmosphere or have you routed this via some form of a closed system eg"catch tank "?

If the latter, pics would be great:thumbs:

ben240z

Club Member
Rocker cover to a catch tank and then front of the head blanking plate to the catch tank. This one vents the crankcase. Catch tank is open to atmosphere. Pics available if required

datsfun

Club Member
Rocker cover to a catch tank and then front of the head blanking plate to the catch tank. This one vents the crankcase. Catch tank is open to atmosphere. Pics available if required

Pics say a few hundred words nowadays...looking for ideas on "how to"

zbloke

Club Member
Pipe from rocker cover, T piece branching off to the OEM crankcase breather stub on the side of the block, then to catch tank, catch tank vented to atmosphere

zbloke

Club Member
CatchTank4.jpg
[/IMG]

CatchTank3.jpg
[/IMG]

CatchTank2.jpg
[/IMG]

CatchTank1.jpg
[/IMG]

zbloke

Club Member
Thanks love the location! I was planning on mounting the catch tank on the more conventional (boring) locations around the strut towers etc

Thank you :)

Main reasons for putting it there where, any residue of any kind will always run downhill into the catch tank and no way was I having it in plain view in the engine bay!!

datsfun

Club Member
Thank you :)

Main reasons for putting it there where, any residue of any kind will always run downhill into the catch tank and no way was I having it in plain view in the engine bay!!

Is the tank a bespoke unit or a off the shelf jobbie? Might revisit this again now that you have given me an outside the box location

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Wouldn't the engine be breathing in its own vapour with that setup though? I know the primary purpose is to remove the pressure in the crankcase, but shouldn't it also remove all the moisture and blow-by gases?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this but with the T-section isn't it venting out the crankcase stub and sucking it back in through the valve cover?

zbloke

Club Member
Is the tank a bespoke unit or a off the shelf jobbie? Might revisit this again now that you have given me an outside the box location

Off the shelf, took me a while to find exactly what I wanted, but it came from here:-

Professional Motorsport Parts, Spares & Rally Equipment from Rally Design

Then you'll need a 1/2" BSP 90° fitting and a 16mm T piece from Pirtek or somewhere similar an L shaped bracket and a few bolts to mount it up, hose is OEM breather sectioned and sleeved together with thin wall alloy tube

zbloke

Club Member
Wouldn't the engine be breathing in its own vapour with that setup though? I know the primary purpose is to remove the pressure in the crankcase, but shouldn't it also remove all the moisture and blow-by gases?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this but with the T-section isn't it venting out the crankcase stub and sucking it back in through the valve cover?

I hear what you say but with my set up there is no vacuum applied to any of the pipes, or as far as I know there isn't, its only purpose is to catch anything the engine should blow out, either through normal driving or in the event of a big bang

The engine must be breathing fairly well as if it wasn't I'd be experiencing oil leaks due to the internal pressure build and up to now the catch tank has not required any draining either, I do get a small build up of condensation on the sight pipe but that's been it

If I could find some hard facts about the HP gain from running a small vacuum pump to positivity vent the crankcase I'd make something like that work, possibly run a pipe from a stub on an air filter backplate to the rocker cover then have a 12V vacuum pump drawing on the outlet of the catch tank

zbloke

Club Member
You could always plumb it into the exhaust downpipe :)

I think I've seen a member on here mention he's got that already and if I remember correctly he wasn't overly impressed with it......anyway it sounds like a sh1t idea.....it'd probably look ****.....and the scrutineers might not be too impressed with it either.....so to sum up.....it ain't gonna happen!! ;)

tel240z

Club Member

So why would the valve cover be sucking? its joined to the crank case via the oil return gallerys, so would be blowing the same as the crank case :rolleyes:

And you are joking about connecting the system to the exhaust arn't you :confused:

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
So why would the valve cover be sucking? its joined to the crank case via the oil return gallerys, so would be blowing the same as the crank case :rolleyes:

If you look at how the original system is plumbed the valve cover vent is designed as a breather for the PCV system and is supposed to be at negative pressure (compared to the crankcase vent) most of the time. ie. air goes in here to help vent crankcase gases out the bottom.

And you are joking about connecting the system to the exhaust arn't you :confused:
No, people do this... hose from crankcase to check valve (to prevent backfire destroying your engine casing) then to pipe welded at an angle into the exhaust system. The flow of exhaust gases creates a negative pressure on the end of the pipe which pulls PCV gases into the exhaust.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yep, like Z bloke I just piped the crankcase and cam cover breathers together - but I fed them into an open mineral water bottle sitting on the chassis leg by the radiator. Cost me nothing and worked a treat for 10 years. I bet it's still on the car now.

If the engine is in good condition very little fuming or 'residue' is produced. 99% of what was in the bottle was water. It never needed emptying.