Got a 370z looking for a 240z!

naz2k5

Forum User
Hey all,

I'm Naz, bought a Nissan 370z 40th anniversary edition about a year back and love everything about it, then it occurred to me... why don't i get the original as well, that its the 40th anniversary of!

SO ideally looking for a 240z thats in good but not great condition, more than happy to give it a bit of restoration, but will be my first project so probably wont be able to handle a piece of garbage.

Saw this one but its in too good nick for me, so looking for something around 5-6k mark, good body and good engine, if anyone knows of anything going please drop me a message.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Datsun-240z-/271479155260?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f356b2a3c

also a member on the 350zuk forum so hi to any one from there!

anyway heres a lil pic of my 370 as it stands

Anyway be great to hear any advice, and look forward to being active on this forum!

Naz

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi Naz, I did it the other way around got a 240Z then 370Z!

That 240Z looks a reasonable buy tbh.

You wont get a 240Z with decent body and engine for £5k - nowhere near, more like £15k.

My advice in your situation is to budget to spend more or you'll end up in trouble.

Anyway good to have another 370Z owner on here. :thumbs:

naz2k5

Forum User
yeah i see what you're saying,

these guys have a few for sale, i know its a bit of a distance but definitely doable, anyone have any experience in dealing with them?

and whats the chances of getting a RHD one?

Ian

Club Member
Like your idea of getting a 240Z aswell.

But theres no way you'll get one with a good body and engine for £6k

naz2k5

Forum User
yeah maybe i misspoke by saying good body good engine, what i meant was i don't want a clean one i'm up for restoration but also i cant deal with some of the dead ones you see about

yeah maybe i misspoke by saying good body good engine, what i meant was i don't want a clean one i'm up for restoration but also i cant deal with some of the dead ones you see about

Its not that clear what you're after?

If you want a good body, you'll be looking at a LHD car which are now 7+K. That silver one on ebay at £9800 is a bargain.

If you can find a UK car in need of work, it'll cost about the same to buy but more on repairs.....

What is your budget and what exactly are you after and what do you want to end up with?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Naz, to help to put things into perspective my 370Z is worth less than either of my 240Zs. It was the most expensive car when I bought it but like all modern cars it depreciates. My 240Zs being top quality, classic and rare (and for a long time undervalued) are appreciating.

It's the way of the antiques world. If they were desirable when new they are still desirable when old. Most aspects of the old cars are worse than the new BUT they do have more character and are never going to give me a massive bill as long as they are insured as 'agreed value' against body damage (the killer with these rare cars).

Owning an old car of a particular marque is not just about owning an older version of it, it's a whole different world.

Also being such a classic and iconic car is why Nissan decided to produce your 'anniversay' 370Z.

naz2k5

Forum User
Budget wise i just threw 5-6k out there because i didn't have any knowledge on the subject, that 9.8k one would be fine so will deffo keep that in mind

One of the reasons i didn't want a nice example is because i didn't want to "molest" a good example, and plans were lips, arches, lowering springs, spoiler. Also i wanted to paint it to match my quartz 370z. But i can imagine repairs costing a fair bit.

Budget wise i just threw 5-6k out there because i didn't have any knowledge on the subject, that 9.8k one would be fine so will deffo keep that in mind

One of the reasons i didn't want a nice example is because i didn't want to "molest" a good example, and plans were lips, arches, lowering springs, spoiler. Also i wanted to paint it to match my quartz 370z. But i can imagine repairs costing a fair bit.

Maybe the silver one is too nice for what you're after?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Naz,

Welcome to the club! I've been a member for nearly a year and stumped at the experience, knowledge and friendliness of the members. You're in the right shop window for receiving great advice.

My personal preference would be a RHD if you plan to have B road fun but if a left hooker doesn't bother you then you have a lot of options open to you. My advice is take your time and find as rust free an example as you can. Engines and mechanicals IMHO are easier to come by or fix. The interiors and body panels are becoming rare and hard/expensive to source.

Have a look on the site below and register for alerts, lots come up and you can get a gauge for the price quality equation ....

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/68/240z/

Once you get one you'll be hooked and will find yourself repeatedly dropping down a gear to hear that old skool straight 6 warble!

BTW, loving the 370 - they sound like baby Ferraris to me.

Ali K

richiep

Club Member
that's a very useful book IMO (just covers a completely standard vehicle obviously) - I used it when I rebuilt my car, in combination with the wealth of info to be found on the net. And a 240/260z Haynes manual of course!

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
naz2k5

Buying any classic can be a minefield without expert advice, and early Z's are no exception

The best advice I can give you is to engage with the members of this club who have actively restored/built cars...... they will give you the heads up, some will even go with you to view a vehicle should you require.

And some members are quiet close to you ;)

z32bolt

Well-Known Forum User
Don't forget, if a chunk of z history to compliment your 370 is what your after, there is a whole line up some are significantly cheaper than others. I personally aim to buy an early z car 240/260 to compliment my mid aged model and provide me with a different driving experience.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
For the 240z? Double check that on here as something tells me that the manual isn't accurate.

I may well be mistaken though. One for the more clued up.

The mistake is reputedly to do with the cam sprocket bolt torque setting, although I haven't compaired it to the Nissan workshop manual.

Mike B