Gear stick length

Peato40

Well-Known Forum User
Hello All,

Is a five speed gear stick different to a four speed?

I'm putting in a 5 speed and have used the gear stick from a four speed but I can't fully engage gears. When I took a closer look it appears that the pivot point of the gear stick needs to be lower down of the holes on the gearbox higher up.

Just wondered if anybody else has run into this issue and if so how did you overcome the issue?

I've looked on the internet for a gear stick but nothing has cropped up yet, so I gear I may end up modifying the one I have.

Regards
Phil

johnymd

Club Member
The gear levers of both 4 speed and 5 speed 240/260 boxes are the same, except early 240 boxes. The 280zx box on the other hand does have different gear lever and bushing. The 280zx gear levers often go missing and I have just fitted a 240 lever to my late 280zx box with no problem. The lever is a bit more loose than if I fitted the correct lever but otherwise OK.

Peato40

Well-Known Forum User
The gear levers of both 4 speed and 5 speed 240/260 boxes are the same, except early 240 boxes. The 280zx box on the other hand does have different gear lever and bushing. The 280zx gear levers often go missing and I have just fitted a 240 lever to my late 280zx box with no problem. The lever is a bit more loose than if I fitted the correct lever but otherwise OK.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not actually sure what model car my five speed originally came from but since you mention 280zx I took a look on eBay and found this, which does look more suitable for my arrangement.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/82-83-DA...759755&hash=item4b3ea65ff0:g:Lp4AAOSwTPRaun3N

Phil

toopy

Club Member
Maybe thats why my gearbox doesnt feel great even with new bushes, as its not the 280zx one linked above!