Gear box putting on help / tips

SRRAE

Well-Known Forum User
Im putting my gearbox back on with the engine still in.

Unfortunatly Im using the plank of wood on the jack trick but its not allianging properly. can someone give me some tips and hits on what to do?

I have got it so close but its not slotting in.

Putting the engine back in with gearbox attached is not an option, the crane we have is not stable enough to pick up both engine and gearbox.

Mr.F

Inactive
On a manual the clutch driven plate needs to be centralised on the flywheel using either a plastic tool that looks like a gearbox input shaft, or an old gearbox input shaft. Failure to get this alignment right will mean that the nose of the shaft won't engage with the spigot bush in the crank and the gearbox bellhousing won't get to the back of the engine...

SRRAE

Well-Known Forum User
I think most of the problem is getting the fly wheel alligned. I have a universal tool but it is not perfect.

Can you buy one of these "plastic tool that looks like a gearbox input shaft"?
I did have one with my new clutch but the garage filed to give it back to me when they put it in.

Mr.F

Inactive
I have had these in stock previously (and ACT supply one with a clutch kit) but they seem to have a similar fate to yours when other garages are fitting your clutch....sorry!