Club Member
a couple of questions

what size fuel lines should I be running if using ITBs

and my mate who is doing a Toyota 1JZ conversion what size should he be using

and does any know if a 300Zx uses an intank swirl pot

cheers !!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnymd

Club Member
I think I'm using -8 and making not much short of 500hp with the nitous. If I was running new pipe then I'd go for -8. If I was trying to use existing pipe then the calculation will get complicated. Quality of fittings can make more difference than the size of the pipe.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
-6 on ITB's flow and return nearly 300hp
300zx has a very good pump, baffle arrangement all in one

Ian

Club Member
You can run nearly 600hp on -6 lines, although, you can run -6 returns also but its better to use -8 for the return just to be safe.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
so bascily we need to be running a minimum of 8mm id fuel lines for feed and return.

I was bidding on 300zx fuel tank but it got taken off before the bidding finished as I don't really want to run an external swirl pot

bigblock

Well-Known Forum User
Without starting a separate thread and taking advantage of this one here,beware of some of these compact branded/unbranded type of compact 90 degree swept fittings( ive come across some different sizes of this style, with an example being an-8 where the bore has tapered down from the usual 10mm bore id at the mouths to less than 6mm inside the bend,)and have ended up porting them larger with a 6mm ball carbide cutter.Ps these are not elbow fittings but are supposed to be full flow swept for tight fits and without visually inspecting them you could end up with a very restricted fuel supply/return.The following pic is just for reference of the style im talking about and is one i havent actually seen.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FULL-FLO...ALE-FLARE-UNION-FITTING-ADAPTER-/251389133877

johnymd

Club Member
8mm pipe has an internal bore of 8mm and is generally the flexible rubber lines. 8mm tube has an external diameter of 8mm and is generally the metal line on a car. You can get away with the long runs from front to back in tube because the friction losses are less than flexible pipe.

not sure how fittings are rated but I believe you use a -8an fitting for 8mm flexible pipe.

bigblock

Well-Known Forum User
Big topic,an-8 push/barb fittings usually take around about 1/2 inch rubber/synthetic id hoses(not that good when some an-8 fittings have an id of about 10mm and so you lose advantage of 1/2 inch hose) but this depends on the manufacturers barb outer diameter,plus you then start getting into cutter fittings, swivel,full flow and ptfe fittings which take different hoses.Manufactures sizes of internal and external dimensions vary even though the threads and what not match.Unless you check out the dimensions of different manufacturers and can mix and match successfully id stick with one brand for all the fittings.Plus anyone not bothered about eye candy aluminium an fittings you can use industrial steel jic 37 degree fittings which are usually far cheaper.Only touched on subject, plenty on net,,no time.

bigblock

Well-Known Forum User
AN refers to the American standard 'Ármy Navy'...hence ÁN'.

AN6 refers to 6/16 outside diameter (OD) of the Tube.The Tube would have an OD of 3/8". The inside diameter (ID) of the Tube is not specified under this system, hence the ID can vary depending on the application and material...there is a way of determining this too, depending on material and so on. In the case of Hose, it can generally be assumed AN6 corresponds to 6/16 (3/8) ID roughly 10mm. The ID of hose is generally set up to match the OD of (metal) tube.

AN8 relates to 8/16 or 1/2" or about 12 mm diameter, and so on.

bigblock

Well-Known Forum User
??? how do those links relate to my statement of id/od of hose and tube fitting sizes,dont need to look at links i use this stuff all the time.My earls,xrp and the rest of these an-8 fittings have a ID bore of about 10mm and 12mm OD tube and about 14.5 mm raised barbs that fit nice and tight into 1/2 12.summat rubber hose.

bigblock

Well-Known Forum User
Aha,i think you are getting confused with Tube fittings and Hose sizes,they are measured differently.

bigblock

Well-Known Forum User
lol you keep throwing up links,im already well aware of the various sizes and nomenclature,ok ill leave it up to others to decide im not fussed.So by rights my an-8 fittings with 10mm(which can vary slightly depending on manuf) id but 12mm od and take 1/2 inch 12mm Hose are figments of my imagination And some an-6 Fittings which i have found have 7.5 id and 10mm od which take 10mm id rubber hose must also be imagination.How on earth did i get all my fuel systems working.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I have the same problem with some websites quoting different ID for AN6.i think I will stick with MSA spec stuff and get it all from the same place atleast it will all fit together