Front indicator & bumper alignment question

Paul_S

Club Member
Me again (sorry!!)

My car came with a new set of indicators and a new fibreglass front valence (I am not sure of the make) and the previous owner had already cut some holes for the indicators.

I offered the valence up to the car today and it fits quite well, but I noticed that the indicator holes have been cut at different heights (about 10mm different):

gallery_245_510_673645.jpg

gallery_245_510_540258.jpg

gallery_245_510_409682.jpg

Can anyone tell me what the clearance should be between the bumper and the indicators?

toopy

Club Member
Cant give you a measurement, but looking at the cutouts i would suspect that they should be lower, nearer the indent, otherwise they may foul the bumper!

Have a look at mine, different spoiler but you get the idea, especially how big the wrap around indicators are and how close to the bumper they fit.

IMG_1432.JPG IMG_1435.JPG

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I think they are just 'roughly cut' holes and not meant to be the finished thing. The indicators fill the recess so I think you will just have to 'offer them up' and cut to fit.

Paul_S

Club Member
Thanks folks :)

I found some images in the gallery on here (funnily enough including toopy's ones!) and ended with it looking like this today:

gallery_245_510_163660.jpg

gallery_245_510_212857.jpg

gallery_245_510_286619.jpg

gallery_245_510_682636.jpg

The indicators aren't 100% level to be honest, but it was a toss up between getting them level and there being gaps around the indicators. I'm quite pleased with the result though. I've never seen the car's nose look complete before!

Paul_S

Club Member
A quick question - am I right in thinking the top part of the valance should be body coloured and the lower part black?

Turn & Burn

Club Member
I think body colour is best, even though the white looks cool! Guess its personal choice, a lot of the BRE style spoilers were black.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
A quick question - am I right in thinking the top part of the valance should be body coloured and the lower part black?

If you want to replicate the look of the standard metal valence and rubber spoiler yes.

Paul_S

Club Member
If you want to replicate the look of the standard metal valence and rubber spoiler yes.
Thanks Rob. I'm tempted to get it sprayed all the same colour to see what it looks like, then perhaps make the lower section black after to compare. If I use something like Plastidip then I can peel it off again if I don't like it.

Paul_S

Club Member
I like the look. Even in white. I think the wide tyre help a lot with the head on look.
Yes, although the fronts stick out a little further than I would like at the moment. I have put some temporary spacers on because the inside of the wheels touched the struts. I plan to put some longer studs in and use some different (slightly narrower) spacers on long term.

Or I might even change the wheels, I haven't quite decided yet...