Four pot Vented upgrade options

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Good evening all, I'm looking for some advice about my options for a brake upgrade. Ultimately I intend to use the car as a fast road car with the potential for the odd track event/laps.

Having read through lots of posts I'm panning on going with four pot callipers and vented disks up front and keeping the drums at the rear as it sounds as though this will be sufficient for my needs.

I'm really looking for a bolt on solution rather than tracking down and piecing together all of the bits. Wildwood has come up as an option however I'm unaware whether there is anything available in the UK from what I've seen or do I have to go to the US?

I've got an upcoming trip to the US in August so could quite easily pickup whatever I need then so either way isn't an issue. So far from my research I've come across the below linked option from Techno Toy Tuning.

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z/300mm-front-big-brake-kit-240z

Can anyone in the know give me some feedback or advise whether there are other bolt in options available from either the UK or US?

Also is anyone able to suggest any rear drum brake rebuild kits? Not that anything is wrong with ours but it would be good to give the whole system a refresh while we're there...

Cheers, Mark

richiep

Club Member
http://www.silverminemotors.com/datsun/datsun-240z/brake-upgrades

My car has the equivalent of the "stage 4 big brake kit" fitted, i.e.

Z31 300ZX NA vented front rotors ( very specific model/year due to the need for it to be four stud versus five),
1/2" hub spacer (this compensates for the 300ZX rotor top hats, which are 1/2" shallower than a standard S30),
Toyota S12-W calipers from the Hilux/Four Runner.

I think I actually bought the spacers from Edan at Silvermine, but had the discs and calipers separately from eBay.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
fancy an AP kit?

Much much better quality, lighter, all parts to rebuild, fix, replacement discs etc in the uk.

Proper brakes. 1000000000x cooler.

You have my full attention, tell me more... :D

http://www.silverminemotors.com/datsun/datsun-240z/brake-upgrades

My car has the equivalent of the "stage 4 big brake kit" fitted, i.e.

Z31 300ZX NA vented front rotors ( very specific model/year due to the need for it to be four stud versus five),
1/2" hub spacer (this compensates for the 300ZX rotor top hats, which are 1/2" shallower than a standard S30),
Toyota S12-W calipers from the Hilux/Four Runner.

I think I actually bought the spacers from Edan at Silvermine, but had the discs and calipers separately from eBay.

Cheers dude, looks like really good value for money looking at the stage four kit linked below. Makes a big difference having everything available in one place. I take it your more than happy considering the power your running? I have similar plans engine wise to yours long term...

http://www.silverminemotors.com/datsun/datsun-240z/brake-upgrades/front-big-brake-kit-stage-4

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
I'm watching this with interest as I also have a hankering for this 4 pot vented disc upgrade. I need new brakes anyway so may as well pay a little extra to go large.

I hear the kit for 240Z hubs is a 1/2 inch spacer, S12W toyota callipers and Peugeot 505Gti discs.

I have to say, I'm never suitably satisfied by people say so to go and spend a ton of money on them. I'd love for someone who has done it tell me what they fitted.

status

Well-Known Forum User
I have the willwood four pot calipers on my 260.came with the disc's,bolted straight on,they fit the 240 but you have to use a spacer which is supplied,they cope with the power I'm pushing out no problem,don't know much about those that Franky suggested but they look ok and might be better

You have my full attention, tell me more... :D

ap cp5040 calipers
280MM(ap) g hook discs
bespoke bells
bespoke brackts
All ap mouning hardware

It costs more than the wilwood stuff, however that's for a reason, just a step up in terms of quality and performance. Not as bling looking either:D

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
How fast are you guys thinking of driving on the 'Queens Highway'?

Be honest the main reason people buy big 'sexy' or 'cool' brakes for an S30 is because they look good and they can talk about them.

I know it's human nature to like and buy more than we need but just be honest with yourself.

My experience tells me that for most people driving quickly on the road it's brake cooling that is the problem and then only if you are driving on clear twisty roads and repeatedly dabbing the brakes. When I was road-rallying in the 70s (clear rural roads between midnight and 5.30am) our brakes got very hot and the discs glowed red but if you are getting to that situation then in this day and age you should consider doing track-days instead.

Yes there are guys on here who make use of these big brakes but they do it on track.

Modern cars like a 370Z have huge brakes for road use but they are far heavier cars than an S30.

Anyway I know you'll think I'm an old fart but for most members my advice would be to fit decent brake pads and linings, decent brake fluid and try not to use your brakes as much.

It's a funny old world when folks paint their brake calipers in bright colours so that the car looks fast.

How fast are you guys thinking of driving on the 'Queens Highway'?

Anyway I know you'll think I'm an old fart but for most members my advice would be to fit decent brake pads and linings, decent brake fluid and try not to use your brakes as much.

Great Advice Rob, Don't use your brakes as much:rofl: Has the Ferrari f1 team been taking your advice too?

richiep

Club Member
Well, comparing how the brakes on my car feel to standard Z brakes, there's no way I'd go back! On the occasions I've driven standard Zs recently, I've felt a serious lack of confidence in the brake pedal compared to what I'm used to. Relatively, it feels like not much is happening, with loads of pedal travel, whereas my brake pedal is hard and starts doing something pretty quickly. I do also have the 15/16 brake master cylinder as well.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Great Advice Rob, Don't use your brakes as much:rofl: Has the Ferrari f1 team been taking your advice too?

My advice to them would be - keep a safe distance from the car in front so that you can react if necessary. ;) Vettel thought he was going to 'go' I reckon.

status

Well-Known Forum User
Rob is right and he might be an old fart that's not for me to say but I put the willwoods in as I was gradually getting the car to how I wanted so I could do track days then I lost my sight in one eye so that put a stop to that,before I changed my brakes I had decent pads,my calipers worked how they should and I had new discs,that is enough on today's roads so unless you are going to go bananas round a track don't waste yer money and also take into consideration wot size wheels you have as they don't always fit under a 14 or15 inch rim

The way I think of it, Nissan offered 'Sports option' stuff from day one.

Vented discs
4 pot calipers
LSD differentials
triple carbs etc etc etc.

All aimed at people who wanted a sportier car.

Depending on the caliper you can get 290mm discs under a 14inch wheel, possibly 300.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
The way I think of it, Nissan offered 'Sports option' stuff from day one.

Vented discs
4 pot calipers
LSD differentials
triple carbs etc etc etc.

All aimed at people who wanted a sportier car.

Depending on the caliper you can get 290mm discs under a 14inch wheel, possibly 300.

Were they offered just for homologation purposes i.e. so their competition cars could have them?

Anyway it's up to the individual all I'm saying (tongue in cheek) is do you really need what you are thinking of buying. I started 'track-daying' my car with standard brakes and it was fine until I got quicker and the lads were doing it too (so not much time for the brakes to cool).

Anyway I'm getting boring so 'end of'.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Were they offered just for homologation purposes i.e. so their competition cars could have them?

No. That was the job of the homologation itself, and the evolutions thereof.

Nissan were actually quite helpful to anyone who wanted to upgrade/race their cars in Japan (although they had to be careful with their wording, as to use some of the parts on the street was technically illegal) and alongside the parts themselves they offered sports/race/rally preparation manuals to give advise on parts matching, preparation and settings. For the S30-series Z models, this came in the form of the 'Yellow Book' Race & Rally Manuals:

red baron

Well-Known Forum User
the function of a gearbox is also to allow yourself the option of slowing down use the said gearbox and thus not cooking the brakes (brake fade) they dont teach you this these days driving skill example going down hill foot on brakes no brakes before you hit the bottom using gearbox controled decent have brakes to stop at bottom undertaker not required

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
the function of a gearbox is also to allow yourself the option of slowing down use the said gearbox and thus not cooking the brakes (brake fade) they dont teach you this these days driving skill example going down hill foot on brakes no brakes before you hit the bottom using gearbox controled decent have brakes to stop at bottom undertaker not required

Yep, I taught my kids to use the gearbox and they had to 'un-learn' it for their tests.

Thanks Alan re 'in period' upgrades mainly aimed at the 432 I assume. So that's a solid disc back in the early 70s?