Float issue

andrew muir

Club Member
Hi has anyone repaired one of the black plastic floats in the float bowl in the standard SU carbs?
If this is not possible has anyone got new ones for sale?

Cheers
Andrew Muir

Farmer42

Club Member
Hi Andrew

I have the same problem on one of the carbs I have in the garage. One of the floats had been repaired and it doesnt run at all well. It appears that if you start using glue or something to fix the metal bit to the top of a float, it affects the weight and then it overfills, floods etc.

Luckily I had the carbs off my old 2Litre engine and although they have the smaller bore, they run fine so I don't need the spare 240Z carbs at the moment.

I do still have one good carb/float so I could let you have that. It would probably be best to send you the whole carb.

If you are interested, PM me.

Paul

andrew muir

Club Member
Thanks for the links etc.
I think I have repaired the float by melting a tiny amount of plastic from an old cotton bud shaft. I know that they are not effected by petrol so I melted a tiny bit into the hole and smeared the excess off.
At the same time I cleaned the needle valves with brasso till it was shiney.
It all seemed to test out ok with no overflow out of top of float bowl.
Fingers crossed!!:thumbs:

Farmer42

Club Member
Burlen sell them - stay up floats

http://sucarb.co.uk/float-chambers-spares/floats/hs-floats.html

If you buy the kit with the needle valve make sure you get matching appertures.Check your existing if you plan to reuse. I believe that 0.070" is recommended for twin carb set ups

I have been looking to refurbish a couple of 240Z 3-screw Hitachi SU carbs & When I looked at them a while back one of the floats was damaged & I couldn't find any replacements so I put them back in a box. I thought I would have another go at them & was looking for the refurb bits & then remembered this thread.

Has anyone tried running the SU stay-up floats on a Hitachi carb & if so, do they work ok? Was thinking of getting a couple but didn't want to waste my money.

Farmer42

Club Member
Does this mean the L28 is being installed?

?

I don't have a L28 engine. I swapped my L20A for a rebuilt L26 back in March but had to run it on the old 1.5 inch SUs that I had on the L20.

I have a pair of 1.75 inch 240Z SUs but they didn't run so I have kept them in a box in the garage since the Spring but thought it was about time I did something with them. One of the floats is damaged so I needed new ones but up until I revisited this thread I couldn't find them. Most Z suppliers do the rebuild kits with float valves etc but not the floats. If the Burlen SU stay-up floats work on Hitachi carbs, I have a solution.

Farmer42

Club Member
OK. Thanks for letting me know. Back to the drawing board. :(

Does anyone else know where I can get replacement floats please?