First lot back from the platers

johnymd

Club Member
I took a big bucket of hardware and a box of assorted zed bits to the platers and look what I got back.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 98

candy red

Club Member
Nice John where did you get all that done and how much if you don't mind me asking looks really good what sort of state was that lot before it was plated might get some done in gold.

Derrick ;)

johnymd

Club Member
£45. It was hard finding some to do really rusty, dirty painted stuff. I also had to find someone with a drum so I didn't lose any of the very small screws.

johnymd

Club Member
Sorry, £45 for the big bucket of nuts, bolts and small brackets plus another £45 for the box full of bigger stuff. It was more expensive than the last load but that was a few years back.

johnymd

Club Member
The place I used are just down the road from me. I went there after trying a few other places. Everyone else just took one look at the **** I had in the bucket and turned their nose up. They just looked at it and said no problem. They were not bothered at all by the paint which everyone said had to be stripped by me first. They are called hockley enterprises in Southend-on-sea.

Tony 260Z

Club Member
Niiice!!! And it was scruffy dirty stuff when you delivered it to them? I have no shortage of scruffy dirty Z parts!

johnymd

Club Member
Not all of it was in poor condition. The parts from the LHD cars were pretty good for 45 year old parts but I wanted it all to match as will be replaying everything. It's not the same as cad plating so it won't match original parts.

johnymd

Club Member
Here is a good comparison between a LHD Cali bolt and a a RHD one from the UK. Both clean and rust free now but you can see the difference.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 53

johnymd

Club Member
And here is a comparison between 2 brackets. You can't replace metal but it's still better than putting rusty bits back on IMO.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 58

johnymd

Club Member
Yes Sean, but only the things made from metal. Anything made from plastic or rubber will be in worse condition than uk cars.

johnymd

Club Member
To replace all the plastic on a zed would be expensive. All the trim pieces around the rear area are becoming hard to find new and so are centre consoles, dashboards, door cards, front air vents, ect, ect. You can find cars were these parts are usable but with cars from very hot, dry areas, many of these parts are too brittle and fall apart.