Few questions and things needed for 260Z

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
Just a couple of questions and a few parts needed for my Datsun 260Z. If anyone can advise or point me in the right direction - particularly for parts - I'd really appreciate it.

So, one of my front indicators managed to fall off the other day, and whilst the car looks 10x better without them, I need the two indicators working to pass an MOT very soon. It's one of the indicators that hang centrally below the front chrome bumper. Are there any options I have for moving this? Can you fit the more modern looking indicators - that fit more towards the sides of the chrome bumper - without replacing the bumper?

The other thing is my handbrake has broken... Now I know the part I need, but is it easier to get hold of a whole new handbrake mechanism? It's a cylindrical part that goes under the car and joins the lever to the horse shoe shaped divider (hope that makes sense).

I'm also looking for a rear registration plate holder , but that's not urgent - mine just looks a little beaten up.

If someone could please advise, that would be awesome. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Just a couple of questions and a few parts needed for my Datsun 260Z. If anyone can advise or point me in the right direction - particularly for parts - I'd really appreciate it.

So, one of my front indicators managed to fall off the other day, and whilst the car looks 10x better without them, I need the two indicators working to pass an MOT very soon. It's one of the indicators that hang centrally below the front chrome bumper. Are there any options I have for moving this? Can you fit the more modern looking indicators - that fit more towards the sides of the chrome bumper - without replacing the bumper?

The other thing is my handbrake has broken... Now I know the part I need, but is it easier to get hold of a whole new handbrake mechanism? It's a cylindrical part that goes under the car and joins the lever to the horse shoe shaped divider (hope that makes sense).

I'm also looking for a rear registration plate holder , but that's not urgent - mine just looks a little beaten up.

If someone could please advise, that would be awesome. Thank you.

Well, as you say, the car does look miles better without them. My friendly Z MOT man told me there are no regs about size or where you have them as long as each one is off the centre line on the car and by the same distance.

One quick option is to put something like this behind the grille - and you may end up liking it so much you won't change back ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162218083827

Note: if you go LED you will have to add a "load" resistor to keep your flash timing working

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182454807672

or replace the flasher relay with an led friendly one.

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
I like that idea!! Yes smileyinside, legend.

Just bought some... Thank you

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
Which connects to number 12, right? Yes I think that's the ticket... !

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I like that idea!! Yes smileyinside, legend.

Just bought some... Thank you

You're welcome! Let us know how it goes / looks.

Good luck with MOT.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Which connects to number 12, right? Yes I think that's the ticket... !

Is it the clevis-pin that is shown as number 12 then? I don't understand your 'which connects' bit. The clevis-pin has a split-pin which secures it.

If it's just the pin then that should be easy to obtain from a motor factor perhaps even Halfords? I might have something myself. Can you post a picture on here with measurements.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
So thats what they look like clean
084222d85693f4d7064521ac34b563bc.jpg

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
Haha! Yes, clean and not broken! The garage I'm taking my car to seems to think they'll be able to fix it before the MOT on the day... so I'm relying on that for now...

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Haha! Yes, clean and not broken! The garage I'm taking my car to seems to think they'll be able to fix it before the MOT on the day... so I'm relying on that for now...

I would think they would be able to as well - there's nothing very special involved, just a bunch of levers, rods & pins.
comparing mine with the picture you linked to, it looks like the rod that pulls the cables on the rear cylinders has been broken and repaired on mine, so maybe that's what failed on yours. Will be interesting to find out.

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
Well apparently it's just a bolt that had somehow come loose... not sure which one but sorry, kicked up more of a fuss than needed! A patch of corrosion to weld and the new indicators to go on and we'll be sorted... thanks all - will send a photo of indicators when they're fitted!

5e86f6217ef9e63f8acb8a8bb9f4b396.jpg

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
Can anybody point me in the right direction of sourcing a new (aftermarket or can be from a donor car) offside front wing??