Fame at last!!!!! Classic & Sports Car magazine.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Look what I found on the news stand today; complete with pictures of Mr Toopy, John and I driving our cars!

Can't believe how many photos were taken to arrive at this final selection - must have been tough to cull them. All the photos taken looked awesome.

Malcolm is a top guy and took great care to get as much detail as poss. The article is well written and (not being a total Z historian) I believe it's pretty accurate and sets the record straight re. Mr Goertz's design!! I fear an inaccuracy I spotted may be my fault for putting the smaller Competition Steering Wheel on mine.

This cover photo took an age to take as every time we got the set up just right, we had to contend with (no joke) 2 coach loads of OAPs on a tour (who ignored the guide and were asking about the cars), delivery vans and artists wanting to set up and use the tunnel just next to the 280zx where my thumb is ;)

ff376581920245f315d8ccb31cb1d6e6.jpg

John's car was truly stunning on the day! Such great paintwork and MINT all over!! Lucky the next buyer. He really was doing 80MPH in this photo as attested by the squeal of the tyres when he ran out of road ;) :D

cf73de1025d6541d38c7329f00318856.jpg

Anthony was actually drifting and fish tailing slightly when he was posing for this one - spot the stones kicking up!! I think his lovely body work escaped unscathed. :s

72795017a83c8f3b6a7fb394961bbfd5.jpg

Then of course there was the big nosed bloke with the loud car which looks like it's doing 100MPH but in reality this was at less than 30 ;). I did wax my chest, back and legs for the photo shoot but they were having non of it!! :'(

1c29ddf92b6bb8296a25424217a91b0d.jpg

The 240z was pretty lovely too and features those super rare wheel trims. I snapped this photo off it's airbox. Not sure if the UK cars had it but I think it's pretty rare to have such things survive the passage of time and owners!

a91c7ed12daf8b671060638ae2c80135.jpg

And finally Toopy did a superb job of being camera car for the action shots - just shows one of the many benefits of not deleting a sunroof!!

24785388977c5da0a4c3daaceb62a317.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Dodson

Well-Known Forum User
That label on the airbox is great. It tells you the function of all of the screws, then tells not to touch them....:rolleyes:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thanks fellas! It was a really fun day and great to meet more Z clubbers.

My wife just read the article and she picked up on two things ....

9d1070e47a611b4e4dc23cca6bce89b1.jpg

And ...

6561c4f40fb303f773a507482d62ea80.jpg

Ped

Club Member
That look great will need to pick up a copy! Good effort all round, the cars look great!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Looks a good article and I know he did some decent research for it so hopefully it will be accurate.

I'm sure it will raise interest even higher.

The only car I've seen 'in the flesh' is that 280ZX. They all look great cars.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
"....the average woman..." ? As opposed to 'the average man' ?

Any woman can enjoy driving an S30 - it was a denigrating statement then, designed to appeal better to 'real-men' when lung-cancer, liver cirrosis and cars where 'all part of it' and it is more disrespectful now - luckily it was only a quote from back then....

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Looks a good article and I know he did some decent research for it so hopefully it will be accurate.

As far as I could tell (and I haven't actually read the final article yet..) any "research" seemed to have been minimal, not to mention misguided by initial misconceptions.

Sorry. Pretty much same old same old, as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully I won't have been given a name check.

candy red

Club Member
Well done guys for getting you cars in the magazine all cars look stunning good yo see a 280zx getting some well deserved coverage :bow:

Derrick:thumbs:

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Looks brilliant! Great to see Zs getting the exposure they deserve so well done guys. Will buy a copy when I am out today!

johnymd

Club Member
Always great to see zeds in articles. Well done.

I thought that was your too Rob. LHD car in a british mag! Thats a bit daring.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Forgot these. The Chatham historic dockyard was a very impressive venue, worth a visit if you are into all things navy ....

2073e07e0e6d86447fe189eb5dd3291b.jpg

This is a 30tonne steam hammer for riveting ships, anyone got a rusty something they need to hammer free on their Z!? ;)

1981abb8c74201b513de37a64d6d9c13.jpg

And an old sub, I think you can go into it ...

66b2d2ad2f6c06a0d5c7ebbeba5acda4.jpg

Oh and some sexy ladies ....

899f7fae80f363554ef03a0b708a2def.jpg

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
.....I thought that was your too Rob......

I could get my car in mags however I don't think it is pristine enough for what they like to show. Like at the NEC show, people usually want to see a car that looks like new and that usually means a restored car.