Engines

rich

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all, im looking for my Z which will become a hybrid, at the moment I have a saab turbo lump but would need a gearbox which im thinking on the line of a vauxhall omega.
The engine is running around the 330bhp mark, im interested to hear what combination you have in yours :thumbs:

datsfun

Club Member
Hi all, im looking for my Z which will become a hybrid, at the moment I have a saab turbo lump but would need a gearbox which im thinking on the line of a vauxhall omega.
The engine is running around the 330bhp mark, im interested to hear what combination you have in yours :thumbs:

Sounds interesting and different.:thumbs:

johnymd

Club Member
I have been running a Toyota 1jzgte for over 5 years now and never looked back. In standard form it is a superb, lag free, reliable, and economical engine that is such a pleasure to drive. With around 340hp once you have removed the exhaust restrictor and limited the boost to 1bar, it is very usable with good tyres and brakes to match. It will even keep up with most modern high performance cars. Once you start looking for more power you tend to lose a lot of the niceties. I'm currently considering another 1j for the silver car that's on its way. If I can restrict the power to under 300 it should then make a nice quiet run around.

rich

Well-Known Forum User
I have been running a Toyota 1jzgte for over 5 years now and never looked back. In standard form it is a superb, lag free, reliable, and economical engine that is such a pleasure to drive. With around 340hp once you have removed the exhaust restrictor and limited the boost to 1bar, it is very usable with good tyres and brakes to match. It will even keep up with most modern high performance cars. Once you start looking for more power you tend to lose a lot of the niceties. I'm currently considering another 1j for the silver car that's on its way. If I can restrict the power to under 300 it should then make a nice quiet run around.

Yes quite a nice read it was, credit to you :thumbs:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I got quite close to buying this at the weekend (from the auction). Why put a Saab engine in a Z when it can stay in a Saab?

Attachments

• IMAG3060.jpg
    IMAG3060.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65

datsfun

Club Member
Saab? don't they have 4 cylinders?

Probably but it's 330bhp and already in his possession. Besides it probably weights lesser than 6 cyl variants so got to be a bonus?

I know most folk are not keen on 4 pot bangers but some SR20 powered s30's are amazingly fast and handle arguably better than their 6\8 cylinder cousins.:driving:

rich

Well-Known Forum User
Probably but it's 330bhp and already in his possession. Besides it probably weights lesser than 6 cyl variants so got to be a bonus?

I know most folk are not keen on 4 pot bangers but some SR20 powered s30's are amazingly fast and handle arguably better than their 6\8 cylinder cousins.:driving:

Could not put it better myself :thumbs:, plus the saab engine is realiable to go over 400bhp and very cheap to do it.
my engine and upgrades to get over 300bhp cost me £600 so for the money, Im not bothered about 6 cylinders.

johnymd

Club Member
Use the engine you want to use. Its no big deal changing the engine again in the future if you change your mind.

zNathan

Well-Known Forum User
Sounds interesting Rich! What Saab engine is it and what's been done to it if I may ask?

rich

Well-Known Forum User
Sounds interesting Rich! What Saab engine is it and what's been done to it if I may ask?
Its a b204 engine running stage 4 remap with 3inch mani and exhaust, 3bar map sensor with deka 630 injectors, enlarged intake.

at the moment its in my cavalier but have totally fallen for a Z shape plus the saabs easy to work on and I know the engine, my only concern now would be which box to fit ?, the vauxhall omega box mounts to the saab engine but looks bigger than the Z one.

Anyway, first thing first, got to get a car plus need to get rid of a few to make room.

Attachments

• IMG_20160715_115919.jpg
    IMG_20160715_115919.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20160926_171304.jpg
    IMG_20160926_171304.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 50

Mr.G

Club Member
Good luck with your Saabsun project :D, engine looks at home in there, nicely done.

I hope you get to at least have a play with the standard L6, it's a great engine and can be turbocharged quite easily.