Early 240z front bumper brackets | The Z Club of Great Britain
  1. The Z Club relies on the support of it's paid members - join the club or renew your membership here.

Early 240z front bumper brackets

Discussion in 'Parts and Other Items Wanted' started by Bobafett, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Bobafett

Bobafett Forum User

Chaps,

I have a US 1973 240z, and from what I can see the earlier cars had the front bumpers tucked up front closer to the car/body which in my book looks cleaner.

I assume mine has some sort of US legislative type impact setup.

Can I just source early front bumper brackets, and just reposition or will I need to modify the bumper/positioning for the result I am looking for.

Anybody have a set of early 240z bumper brackets?

Finally quick question on the topic of US style front bumpers that I have, why do I see some front overriders spaced wider apart nearer the wings. Is that a Euro spec setup?

Thanks again in advance,

2. A2Z

A2Z Forum User

3. SacCyclone

SacCyclone
    Z Club Member

Yes, 73-74 US Zeds were required to have more impact absorption up front which gave way to the larger bumper and fill panels up front. Later in late 74 on, they had the park bench bumpers and shocks up front and in the rear.

The 73 Zeds should have the bolt holes and weld in nuts to accept the early bumper brackets. See attached picture for bumper bracket location.

Brackets are available on US e-bay from time to time.

[​IMG][/IMG]

4. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

On a side note. The late '74 and newer cars with the shock bumpers do not have the holes for bumper irons or the side hole to mount the ends of the bumpers. The early bumpers will fit on the shocks and when deflated they are in the correct position. I've seen 2 cars this week that have retained the shocks and have early bumpers.

5. pmac

pmac Active Forum User

I have one bracket available........

Attached Files:

6. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

Did I miss that one when I bought all the others Pete :)

7. Bobafett

Bobafett Forum User

Thanks for the link for the overrider discussion, very interesting that. It's clear the 73 cars do indeed differ

Ah, thanks Mike. I better understand the changes now, but I assume I actually have the larger front bumper blade so just sourcing early brackets will not be enough for me to get a closer fitting front bumper. So I need an early bumper blade to do the job aswell? Damn it!

So what I now need is front early bumper blade and early front brackets. I assume my rears are the same as 70-72 cars.

Cheers again,

8. pmac

pmac Active Forum User

Seems that way... I only "found it" recently:confused:

9. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

Bob. I think you can just use the early bumper irons (or just make some) and use your bumper. You may or may not need to drill additional holes in it but I'm pretty sure it will fit. I'd sort out some irons and give it a try first. Your main problem will be attaching it at the corners as the late bumper will not have the bracket attached to it. Although I think it's still doable.

10. Nigel Brook

Nigel Brook Active Forum User

And I have the other one:)

11. pmac

pmac Active Forum User

Well there you go......
    A pair of early bumper brackets:bow:

12. Bobafett

Bobafett Forum User

Wow, looks like a happy threesome there then :D:D pm's enroute :)

13. Bobafett

Bobafett Forum User

Pete, your inbox is full sir :p

14. pmac

pmac Active Forum User

That is permanent.;)
    Dont do PMs
    email/call/txt
    pmaczc@madasafish.com
    07778 411568