Drop in suspension strut assembly options in the UK

zedhed

Club Member
I'm looking looking for a complete set of "drop in" strut assemblies with springs and casings etc for my ground up restoration project (Steve's old car).

They need to be adjustable in height with around 200lb springs for road fun, maybe slightly stiffer than stock (please suggest?), but not OTT. They will be used with the MJP anti roll bar kit front and back, which are slightly stiffer than standard, and my chassis is also a little stiffer than standard due to bad dog parts, thicker inner sills, and a few mostly invisible internal engineering mods to reduce deflection, done while I was doing the restoration.

Folks have suggested Gaz refurbishment, but that isn't really possible, because I can't get my suspension off the car and on again easily (my garage is too small), so the plan is to buy a "kit" and take that to a shop for quick installation. Shops aren't going to want the car sitting there while Gaz do their thing.

Saw these here but they look expensive, and probably difficult to refurbish in the future, plus I'm not sure if they're a direct bolt on affair and not sure if or how they attach to the top mounts.. According to vendor they're adjustable to any height but the shortened travel bit sounds like it could cause problems for street. Any thoughts or experiences with these?

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z/front-coilover-conversion-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z

Any ideas and views appreciated ;)

Cheers Nick

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
They were a bit cheaper before but they're using Koni inserts now since Tokicos became hard to get, which is a good thing. Also I'm pretty sure they used to advertise an option for using the stock top mount, so I would contact them and ask what's required to make it fit.

atomman

Club Member
you need to use the weld in adjutable top mounts for those struts,

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z/240z-260z-and-280z-weld-camber-plates

I did mine myself and sectioned the struts while i was at it, but it depends how low you want to go,

the ones you have linked to are also sectioned struts using a shorter shock insert so would make your car alot lower and maybe not adjustable back up to stock height. thats if you want to put it back up to stock ride height,

the Gaz setup i've seen looks good, some one on here has a set, and i dont think they are sectioned but just stock but height adjutsable and bolt into the standard top mount

datsfun

Club Member
GAZ would be my choice. How about buying another set of used factory suspension legs and sending those off to GAZ to get converted ? Bolt in when they turn up and so car is not on ramps ( which is your main issue)

johnymd

Club Member
Are these adjustable? I really like the adjustability of the dampers as I can set it for comfort on the roads and stiff for the track.

zedhed

Club Member
Thanks for the responses guys. I already contacted Technotoy tuning and they said this was a "bolt-in solution no modifications required". They didn't mention it wouldn't work with stock top mounts so I'll ask them to clarify a second time.

I live in Norfolk, and as you probably know the roads are pretty bumpy here, which is why I want adjustability from stock downwards ;)

The limited travel of the Technotoy struts is a concern and these look like pure racing setups to me, so I'm going to talk to Gaz and see what they have to say before I make up my mind...

Ok so what spring specs are people running and who has the Gaz setup? Be good to get some idea from someone who has the gear running? Please comment here, cheers Nick

TomZupra

Well-Known Forum User
My Gaz setup has 225 fronts and 180 rear, probably only driven it 400m so far but on a savagely potted road with the dampers turned down and seemed good.

Haven't caged the car so didn't go too high with the springs as didn't want to turn the chassis into the suspension, the standard spring rates on a Z are surprisingly low from memory

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
The limited travel of the Technotoy struts is a concern and these look like pure racing setups to me, so I'm going to talk to Gaz and see what they have to say before I make up my mind...

As far as I know Technotoy are using the 8610-1437 inserts which have ~6" of travel

Mr.G

Club Member
I've got a new set of Bilstein's that are drop in, they are shorter then stock so ideal if you wanted to shorten your struts and fit coil overs.... If not they can be used "as is" by using spacers that I've got.

I can get you the part numbers if you'd like, I most probably will be selling my set, too many projects in the go, so give me a shout if of interest. Anyone else for that matter...

The good thing about the Bilstein's, and Konis, is that they can be rebuilt to your damping spec if required....

zedhed

Club Member
Thanks for the offer but mine seem to be Lleda coilovers already cut down (refurb is no longer viable), so the only way forward is to rebuild these via Gaz, or replace them completely via Technotoy (unless other alternatives?). Thanks for that link, looks like conclusion is 185/195 for bumpy roads, or 200/215 lb for smoother bits and perhaps even the occasional track day. I've strengthened the body with some gussets, bad dog frame rails, and thicker sills, (see my gallery) so all should be fine on high rates, but at the end of the day I want a grippy car not a jumpy one and the dampening needs to match the rates properly. Had a Ginetta G4 which was way too skippy and nearly went splat in that car, hence erring on the side of caution with this one ;)