Diff issue

andrew muir

Club Member
Hi Guys
Just finished fitting new rear lowering springs to car.
All when together ok untill I drove away.
Got a serious driveshaft/propshaft noise, it looks like the propshaft is hitting the antiroll bar, how could this happen?
I removed the large metal weight from the front diff mount, is this the issue or is it something else??

Please help as need car for weekend at Leighton!!

Cheers
Andrew:unsure::unsure:

Mr.G

Club Member
Did you remove the anti roll bar and fit it the wrong way round? Also check the end links to make sure you stacked the bushes amd spacers correctly and you didn't over torque them as well as putting the anti roll bar in the right space between the bushes.. Can't think of anything else right now.

Not sure what large metal weight you're referring too but why did you remove it?

Hopefully you'll get it sorted in time....

johnymd

Club Member
The rear of the prop flange is very close to the antirollbar and I've often thought mine rubbs. If the front of the diff is lowered ay a couple on mill then I think it will rubb. I seam to recall the weight on the front but cant think where it goies. any pics of the area?

Mr.F

Inactive
The weight is a vibration damper and also gives more mass to the nose of the diff to counteract its natural tendency to lift. Nissan also added the strap over the pinion nose to stop it lifting too far. As an alternative, some manufacturers (Jaguar springs to mind) have used "pinion climb bars" to achieve the same.
Check condition of differential front mount - they can part company but still look fine static...

andrew muir

Club Member
Not sure what the mount should look like as pretty dark in there.
I am sure its not the best nick but I seem to have sorted the problem.
I took off the crossmember and it looks like ther was a washer spacer between the diff mount and crossmember, I installed a large 2.5mm thick spacer and this has lifted the diff up, so clearence is now about 2-2.5mm. I have had it out for a 5 mile run tookint up to 5000 reves in first 4 gears all ok.and ok on over run. So looks sorted.
I think the weight which attaches to the crossmember has a piece which stops the diff dropping too low.
I am not sure what has caused this and I am open to sugestions??

Many Thanks
:thumbs::D:thumbs:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Andrew, as I said in an email if you lower the car the antiroll bar will pivot upwards and the bit by the prop will be in a slightly different position. Could that be it? :confused:

andrew muir

Club Member
I don't think that could be it as I have had 2 adults in the back and that would have compressed the suspension by a greater amount and it was ok.
Also the middle of the roll bar is only twisting and there should be not much upward movement.
It would be good to check what clearance other cars have? Any offers to check.?
Car seems ok now but a heads up I guess to anyone with similar issues.
:thumbs:

andrew muir

Club Member
Hi Johny
Yep well I have measured mine now at 2.5mm. So that seems about right.
Not much leeway for movement.
Is it possible to lower the antiroll bar by bushing out the mounts?
Has anyone done this?
Andrew

tel240z

Club Member

Don't know what all the fuss is about Andrew ..... only joking ! had my share of things going on with early this and late that, R200 vs R180 but this is the outcome, genuine new Nissan diff nose mount, 300 zx I think diff flange (quite a bit larger diameter) and I have stacks of room :confused: the thicker anti roll bar has the same profile as standard and if you want to make the roll bar further away from the diff flange you have to lengthen the link rods and lowering the car has the same effect

andrew muir

Club Member
No car is ok now there was a spacer missing on the diff mount, no noise but not quite as much clearance as you have I have about 5mm only.
Thanks for the pic Terry