D Jarman's rear disc brake kit

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Thought I would start a thread on the rear Disc brake kit that I just bought from Dave.
It is a very high quality setup with all the parts including pads and handbrake cable to convert the rear of any Z to discs with ease.
I will post some pictures of the install procedure in the next day or so.

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Difficult to say as I bought a whole load of stuff and we came to a figure for the lot. Call dave and he may be able to sort you out a good deal.

D J

Active Forum User
Rear Brake Kit Price

The Price For The Brake Kit Is £550.00 But There Is A Special Launch Price Advertised In The Next Club Mag Of £480.00 Incl Postage

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Here are some shots of the rear disc setup, installation was very easy as the kit contains all nuts,bolts, steel flexi brake lines, brackets and handbrake cable. A bargain for sure!

Attachments

• reardisc1.jpg
    reardisc1.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 211
  • reardisc2.jpg
    reardisc2.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 202

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
On the subject of rear discs, if someone was to shear a stub axle and had drum brakes at the rear, would the rear wheel fall off?

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
:eek: yes it will proberly would fall off as the wheel is bolted to the end of the stub axle and so is the brake drum,it would be just a matter of time ,about 1 minute:eek:

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
If you have the power to shear them it's a good idea to fit discs then
...oh defender pictures for Mr F...damn forgot again....beter go out in the cold and takes some photos. :)

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Ok say you're at Pod right and you shear a rear stub axle at 60+ mph...surely it would be easier to stop with 4 wheels and 4 brakes than 3 wheels and just the front brakes?

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
twoforty said:
Ok say you're at Pod right and you shear a rear stub axle at 60+ mph...surely it would be easier to stop with 4 wheels and 4 brakes than 3 wheels and just the front brakes?

So what your saying is there is more chance of a caliper keeping the wheel on ?

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
well it would wobble but the caliper would stop it coming out all together or am I missing something here?

Tony 260Z

Club Member
Some time ago I had a front wheel come off at about twenty mph. Luckily no damage to me or the car (more loss of dignity really). I'd rather not lose one again at any speed!

status

Well-Known Forum User
3 wheels on my wagon,but was you still rolling along,the cherokees,they pissed themslves,and said blimus, that Datsun aint very strong

Charlie Boy

Well-Known Forum User
Hi guy's just wondering if anyone has used this rear brake kit in anger yet? The reason I ask is because I’m looking at getting the Arizona Z car Wilwood front kit but I need to retain the rear parking brake so can’t use their rear kit. From what I have read people who have been using the common 180sx rear caliper, Maxima bracket and 280zx discs have found that there is not enough braking on the rear. Dave Jarman’s kit looks like it uses a 280zx disk but with a much more substantial calliper which looks like half Aluminium half steel. What I’m hoping is that it will provide a more balanced braking front/rear but for those of you who have used them what are your thoughts?

The only other potential is a kit using disks and calipers from the Mustang GT500 but they look rather heavy and the calipers and pads don’t look much bigger than Dave's kit.

http://silverminemotors.com/product.sc?categoryId=10&productId=38

Charlie

Charlie Boy

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Rob, that's the kit that doesn't have enough braking to match the Wilwood's. The way he's taken the picture makes the caliper look massive but another shot from his pic album shows the size a bit better.

C

Attachments

• 3-17-06088.jpg
    3-17-06088.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 60

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Rob, that's the kit that doesn't have enough braking to match the Wilwood's.

You don't want to much braking on the rear anyway, I had big 304mm x 28mm AP brakes and 4 pot callipers on the front of my old 500 BHP pulsar, And still use the standard rear callipers, All be it with pagid disc's and pads and that was more than adequate to stop the Pulsar which weighs in at 1240 KG.

80% of the stopping is done by the front brakes so massive rear brakes is a total waste, All you will achieve is the need to fit a brake proportioning valve to reduce rear line pressure.

I think the kit I showed would work very well and probably a lot better than the standard drums.

The job of the rear brakes is just to keep the car straight and stable under heavy braking, Apart from that they don't do a lot really lol, I found just fitting good quality disc's and pads and having callipers in 100% good working condition was more than enough to stop my heavier and far more powerful pulsar on the road and track.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
Rear Disc Conversion - 240Z

Hi guy's just wondering if anyone has used this rear brake kit in anger yet? The reason I ask is because I’m looking at getting the Arizona Z car Wilwood front kit but I need to retain the rear parking brake so can’t use their rear kit. From what I have read people who have been using the common 180sx rear caliper, Maxima bracket and 280zx discs have found that there is not enough braking on the rear. Dave Jarman’s kit looks like it uses a 280zx disk but with a much more substantial calliper which looks like half Aluminium half steel. What I’m hoping is that it will provide a more balanced braking front/rear but for those of you who have used them what are your thoughts?

The only other potential is a kit using disks and calipers from the Mustang GT500 but they look rather heavy and the calipers and pads don’t look much bigger than Dave's kit.

http://silverminemotors.com/product.sc?categoryId=10&productId=38

Charlie
Hi - The 'Z' Farm here.
On the Historic Rally 240Z's, both Kevin Bristow & I have used the early 280ZX Caliper & Disc setup with one of Kevin's Alloy brackets to mount everything up easily.
We have used them for several years & dozens of Rallies ( both Tarmac & Forest ) without trouble & with virtually no maintanance required.
Viper is correct in stating that the rears do only about 25% of the braking & there is no point in over-specifying the rears - too big & they just lock up & send you off the Road !
I have a good s/hand set in stock if you are interested - £ 175
Call me on 01845 587100 if interested.
Also have a large quantity of New Old Stock Spares ( ( OE Panels & repair panels included ) along with a lot of good Competition/Trackday components.