CV conversion

johnymd

Club Member
I swapped my stub axles over today and fitted the hybrid companion flanges. Tried to bolt up the 280zx driveshafts and found that they hit on the antiroll bar. Anyone running CV's come across this? Any pictures of the area of your car could be helpful.

GTR-240Z

Well-Known Forum User
My CV's touch the anti roll bar endlinks when jacked up and not under any compression is fine once down on the ground and the suspension is under the weight of the car.

johnymd

Club Member
Thanks Darren, it's good to know it's not just me. I think I'll reduce the endlink length to place it under the CV, just to be on the safe side. Is it correct that the US cars don't have a rear anti-roll bar so don't have this problem?

GTR-240Z

Well-Known Forum User
I think the US cars didn't as standard but you would think if they have done the CV conversion they would have fitted anti-roll bars to the back. If you need any pictures of my cv/arb position when on the ground let me know and I can take a picture tomorrow when its light.

260Z TT

Club Member
I shortened the ends of my anti roll bars and sleeved them when I had my driveshaft conversion fabricated. I used 280 cv joints with custom length shafts.

johnymd

Club Member
Put the rebuilt 3.7 diff in tonight which then allowed me to fit the 280zx axles. I fitted them without the dust covers to see how much room, if any, I had to spare. It all looks pretty good and I think I've come up with the correct length for the flanges. I'll have to reduce the dimple on the dust cover by 10mm but my first thoughts are that it's going to work. I'll mod the dust covers in the morning and alter the antiroll bar to make it fit. Should get it back on its wheels tomorrow and check for binding.

johnymd

Club Member
Got it all finished and took it to the Half way House meet today.

After lowering it back to the ground I checking for axles length I found I've still got around 5-10mm of movement left. First impressions were great no noises, clunks or vibration. Drove around for about an hour then headed to the Z meet. All seamed well and I gave it a bit of stick to see if anything fell off. On the way back, doing 50mph in traffic I notice it's starting whineing. Any idea what causes a diff to whine?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Did you put oil in it?

Are the shafts under compression and pushing on the diff bearings?

Did you have the Crownwheel and Pinion 'set-up'?

How bad is it?

The problem is that you guys have too much power, I can get by with a lot of things that aren't quite right but I don't have the power to break them. This is not just a 'throwaway' comment.

johnymd

Club Member
Did you put oil in it?
Yes I did remember, just.
Are the shafts under compression and pushing on the diff bearings?
No, with the car back on its wheels I can move the center bit of the shaft around 10mm so its not bottoming out.
How bad is it?
Don't know as I've nothing to compair it with. Because there is no bearing noise I can now hear other things.