Competition 260Zs

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Does anyone have any photos of competition 260Zs, preferably period ones and not later modified cars ?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Anything would be appreciated, especially the rally cars - everythings about the 240s but the grp 4 260s were monsters !

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
steven lack said:
how about the le mans car?
The Z that ran at Le Mans in 1975 and 1976 was actually a 240Z ( a Japanese-market HS30 ).

Why do you want photos Sean, and what exactly are you going to do with them?

And why are you asking specifically for "260Z" photos - as opposed to other market models such as late Japanese-market S30 & S31, or US-market '280Z' models?

Albrecht confussed :confused:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Cos Symon and I need as much info (and photos) to build a 260Z 2 seater grp 4 racer and register (FIA) the car as a competition car to compete in several races over here, notably the Tour de France (mix of several circuits and road rallys) and Le Mans Classic - I was under the (mis) apprehension that thge second Le Mans race was competed in a 260 shell ? And that the year after was genuinely competed with a 260 !

Your help would be enormously appreciated, I imagine parts sourcing too !

Our cars need some serious attention over here, at the moment there are some people ralying them and one Belgian team racing (who do very well) but the rest are bodgers !

It seems that the only way to encourage more owners out there (to increase awareness of the HSs') is to convince the press via correct articles (I have some good contacts) and by serious competition !

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
SeanDezart said:
.......notably the Tour de France (mix of several circuits and road rallys) and Le Mans Classic.......
Blimey. That's playing with the big boys. The TdeF is a seriously expensive event, and just getting an entry to the Le Mans Classic would be an achievement. They are bursting at the seams for entries, as far as I hear.......

SeanDezart said:
I was under the (mis) apprehension that thge second Le Mans race was competed in a 260 shell ? And that the year after was genuinely competed with a 260!
No. Both years it was the same car, and it was NOT a "260". Don't trust what you read in the books - the story is a lot more complicated than they portray it.

SeanDezart said:
It seems that the only way to encourage more owners out there (to increase awareness of the HSs') is to convince the press via correct articles (I have some good contacts) and by serious competition !
I'd say that the best way to go racing is for purely selfish reasons, rather than to make it some kind of crusade to "increase awareness". Do you feel you have to re-run history all over again just to prove a point? The in-period history for the cars is out there, the problem is getting people to acknowledge it - and that is more to do with the way history has been written in the past than how it is regurgitated now.

The truth is that the Porsches and Alpines beat the Z in the past for many good reasons. You'll be struggling to turn that around, I reckon.

I still think you are going to be struggling against the budgets of other competitors rather than their cars. Somehow I don't quite see you as an International Man Of Leisure just yet :D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Hee, hee, hee - if I didn't like a struggle, I wouldn't be here Count and I wouldn't be arguing on another thread either..... ! I love Zeds, and in general, I love other people who love 'em too !

The price for an entrance to the Tour de France is about 3000 euros, Le Mans Classic is something else but I can already provide an experienced pit crew for free ! If they are bulging at the seams, it's because Montlery is finished and I bet there's not one 240 in it ! All the more reason why they would accept another rare, icon car to keep the field varied - no point just seeing another 30 911s race around - people go to Porsche events for that !

Of course our racing intentions are for selfish ones - I want to be able to sell more cars and parts over here ! NO reason why I can't kill more birds with one stone :)

Yes, it's hard to get people to acknowledge it and that's why we need to be reminding the oldies and educating the young ones of that illustrious past ! A bit like telling someone to learn it from a book (history) compared to seeing the subject on TV (seeing the cars race NOW) - the power of the image !

There is more than one project going on over here - I want to see more Zeds competeng at all levels of competition at (obviously) all budgets ! If I have to sell another car in order to afford your gearbox because I can't be competitive without it, I'll be calling you ;-)

Yes, we're gonna play with the big boys - coming 237th in the Monte Carlo Historic in a Z doesn't interest me whatsoever - I call that (sorry, can't print it here but often done by oneself in the shower, I believe) ! Can't expect to win but if one is going to do it, do it properly !

I'm no man of lesuire but I'll work hard to promote these cars, whether it's me in the race suit or someone else, I'm not proud, there are quicker drivers than me out there who can do a better job !

I cry Jihad !

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Observed by some French sporting enthusiasts:

" ils se voient même parfois refuser l'inscription au course à cause du manque de diversité.......Au Monté Carlos historique ils sont arrivé à un point où ils préfèrent accepter l'inscription d'une 2cv ou une 4 cv plutot qu'une énième porsche..."

Translations available if necessary :)

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
translate away, if it was german,spanish or italian...no probs but french, boy oh boy do i need help...lol

oh by the way i only speek english(school boy french only) relatives speak the others incase you thought i was being smug!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
ils se voient même parfois refuser l'inscription au course à cause du manque de diversité.......Au Monté Carlos historique ils sont arrivé à un point où ils préfèrent accepter l'inscription d'une 2cv ou une 4 cv plutot qu'une énième porsche..."

Sometimes cars are refused entry due to a lack of diversity.....at the Monte historic they're getting to the point where they prefer to accept entries from Citroen 2cvs or Renault 4cvs sooner than the enemy 911S !

mikecart

Well-Known Forum User
Not being funny here but isn't the translation of "énième" as 'enemy' rather than 'umpteenth' or 'yet another' putting a bit of spin on it!!! :eek: Or is that a genuine slip up :):D:rolleyes:

Mike

qunvat

Well-Known Forum User
SeanDezart said:
Does anyone have any photos of competition 260Zs, preferably period ones and not later modified cars ?
..wot happened to the fotos!!????

Si.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Albrecht

do you know the latest on Chris Gray's project on the Haller replica 1975/76 Leman's car remember his original write up stating the 1975red/white 72 numbered car was a fitted with a Gnose and the 1976 blue 73 numbered car had the gnose removed
wondering which route Chris went nose wise as lost touch with him

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
just found this photo from guus on classicZcars.com
showing hallers no73 car after its fatal accident duing the 1976 LeMans 24 hour race

hallersz.jpg

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
STEVE BURNS said:
Albrecht
do you know the latest on Chris Gray's project on the Haller replica 1975/76 Leman's car remember his original write up stating the 1975red/white 72 numbered car was a fitted with a Gnose and the 1976 blue 73 numbered car had the gnose removed
wondering which route Chris went nose wise as lost touch with him
Chris had a bit of setback due to serious illness, but the last time I exchanged e-mails with him I am pleased to say that he was very much better.

I helped him to source a nice replica G-Nose kit and the proper matching 'Works' type super-wide Overfenders, extra front airdam and the three piece rear spoiler from Japan. As far as I know, this was most of the way to being completely fitted last time he contacted me.

I think the confusion with the 1976 front-end spec might have come from a plastic model kit that portrayed the car as having a 'normal' nose - but this was not accurate ( you've probably got the kit in question, Steve? ). The car ran with the same 'Works' aero kit in '76 as it did in '75 ( many photos to prove this ) and the main visual difference was the paintwork.

I must get in touch with Chris and see how he's getting on.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
I have the resin model of the 75 car but never got the model of the 76 car

the model 75 car is also was wrong as it had a standard front end as photo shows

75lemans.jpg

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
May I be permitted to say that despite these kits being original or at least looking like the originals, it doesn't help the look of the car ( putting it mildly !) - not exactly the most flattering of modifications !
Beauty is truth and all that.....at least that was what the poet stated under oath in the 'Hitch-hikers' series !

Thanks Steve for putting up some photos I've never seen before - poor Haller !