CLSD's for R200's

Ian

Club Member
I'm looking to fit a CLSD to my 260Z R200. I'm just looking to see what option are available. I know some people don't like them in road cars but from cars I've driven so far I don't think it will be a problem for. If I really dislike it I can always move on and fit a Quaife anyway.

I was hoping to use a KAZZ CLSD but they only do 2 way replacement for open R200's and I want a 1.5 way so thats no use.

I believe this this Cusco LSD is the correct one for my R200: R200 10 MM, RS1.5WAY(1.5&2WAY) CUSCO - PartBox Performance and Tuning Parts

Its Cusco so the quality will be very good and if I ever need to I can adjust it to a 2 way, however it is rather pricey.

I'm sure Nismo make a CLSD that also fits my R200 but which model do I need and where can I get one from?

racer

Club Member
Why not go for the Quaife in the first place? Road and track friendly, proven to do the bussines by memebers on here. If your not running stupid horespower the quaife is available for a R180 also.

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
As Matt says, you can't do better than the Quaife - we have fitted several and the Owners have always been very happy with their performance and we've never heard of them failing.
So why buy anything else ?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
As Matt says, you can't do better than the Quaife - we have fitted several and the Owners have always been very happy with their performance and we've never heard of them failing.
So why buy anything else ?
Perhaps because Ian wants to hear the pros and cons for each application although I suspect a Quaife will fulfill his modest needs.

Terry - rather long that diff don't you think for someone already with a 3.7 unless one has the gearbox ratios to suit ;)? Besides, I bought a similar one last last year for considerably less and they're other good s/h ones with different ratios and different LSDs available and for less than a Quaife.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
I suspect a Quaife will fulfill his modest needs.

Sean you do post the oddest comments at times, Quaife ATB's have been proven well beyond your modest power output as well

Ian
I have run both CLSD and Quaife and for road/track the Quaife is far superior, no heat, no clutch plates to wear, always engaged, almost unbreakable, (I've missed 4th and hit 2nd buzzing the engine to well over 9K busting the solid diff mount.....phoned Quaife because I thought I had broken the diff and they laughed), diff has been in use for 7 years now.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Sean you do post the oddest comments at times, Quaife ATB's have been proven well beyond your modest power output as well.

Don't be facetious and patronising - I wasn't referring to power output and even suggested that for Ians' modest use, a Quaife would be sufficient -did you think that meant 'only' 160bhp ?

Ian, I was reffering to use ie application and Quaife are good for a lot of most types od driving but not all.

Since the 'experts' have spoken and conveniently proposed only one option and that being expensive (imo), I leave the discussion and wish you well in their hands.

You see Duncan - it easily slides down.....

A good case for the Moderator to delete this thread - meaningless trivia and needless bitching has taken over what was a genuine and interesting question.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Don't be facetious and patronising - I wasn't referring to power output and even suggested that for Ians' modest use, a Quaife would be sufficient -did you think that meant 'only' 160bhp ?

Oh FFS,
Your use of the words "sufficient" and "modest" imply that the Quaife is a substitute for "something" better and that Ians power is somewhat "lower league" if anything, your post was patronising.

Maybe you could try wording your replies so that they make sense in the first place, (first time for everything) rather that the first words that enter your head.

status

Well-Known Forum User
for wot its worth i have run bot, skids is right although i tend to do my tear ups on the roads round the lanes and found the Quaife better but dont tell plod

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Oh FFS,
Your use of the words "sufficient" and "modest" imply that the Quaife is a substitute for "something" better and that Ians power is somewhat "lower league" if anything, your post was patronising.

Maybe you could try wording your replies so that they make sense in the first place, (first time for everything) rather that the first words that enter your head.

Whatever. YOUR interpretation could never be at fault of course ? Perhaps if people like me took longer to reply and people like you took longer to read...and even asked if what I wrote was meant, there would be less bickering here.

Not at all patronising - Ian never mentioned any power progression so how would I know ?

It appears to be the Duncan/Skidden stamp of approval and no-one has the right to pose the least question.......the man asked for advice and experience not told what to buy.:eek:

racer

Club Member
Come on now girls no bitching please, Let's not spoil Ians thread.
Save it for an arm wrestle at Spa! ;)

johnymd

Club Member
I've only ever used a quaife in an r200 and have had no problems with it. Although numerous problems getting it fitted correctly to be as quiet as possible. I am curious as to how they differ in use though. Also the disadvantages of the alternatives.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Comes down to applications (not how much power for the hard of reading - push those specs further UP the nose please).

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Never had an LSD in a 240Z.

Been in Johnny's car and Duncan's rally car - massive difference from a passenger point of view. A plate diff would be too obtrusive for anything but a competition car IMO.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Never had an LSD in a 240Z.

Been in Johnny's car and Duncan's rally car - massive difference from a passenger point of view. A plate diff would be too obtrusive for anything but a competition car IMO.

I've run one for +5 years on the road and track - lovely.

No offence - opinions are nice but without real experience.....they have no 'weight' in a discussion. Perhaps Ian could share with us his plans and maybe he doesn't need one if you didn't Rob as you were no slouch.

Can I ask why a plated LSD would be unsutible for road use? I'm going to use(one day!) a subaru r180 diff with a 4.44plated LSD, when I've had other cars with plated diff's i've never had any issue and during normal (commuting type) never noticed any differance to a open diff.

For me it was a good budget buy, A 7 year old diff that's so so quiet and easy to turn with output adapters for under £600. Also i'm aiming for lady like power so like the lack of weight in a r180 :)