Chris Vega Re Big Mama Thornton

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Two giants of the early blues days who never really got the credit they deserved

Really showing my age now

A gig by Big Mama Thornton from 1965 brilliant but think John Lee Hooker would be better sticking to his guitar
Followed by a recording of the fantastic Sister Rosetta Tharpe using a train station in Manchester as a stage back in 1964
[YOUTUBE]p_Gvk84e4jg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]v=MnAQATKRBN0&list=RDMnAQATKRBN0&t=11[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Wow, thanks for this posting Steve.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe arrives by horse drawn carriage, straps on her Gibson SG and performs on a rain soaked platform at a South Manchester disused railway station in 1964. Almost surreal......

Love all the old bluesmen ( and women now ) and Manchester is my home city but never heard about this one off impromptu gig before, mind you I was just a baby at the time....

Just brilliant.....amazing.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
The original Blues and Gospel show was made by Johnnie Hamp for Granada TV and filmed on Thursday, 7th May 1964 in the open at the disused Wilbraham Road Railway Station, Chorlton-cum-Hardy. Entrance to the Station was on Atholl Road, off Wilbraham Road, near the junction of Alexandra Road and Wilbraham Road.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Finally Recognizes Sister Rosetta Tharpe the Woman Who Practically Invented Rock and Roll

The Wall Street Journal reported that Tharpe—a major gospel star who broke ground with her electric guitar style and tackling of secular themes, predating the Sun Records crew and paving the way for basically everybody who came afterward—will be inducted in the “early influences” category.

https://pictorial.jezebel.com/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-finally-recognizes-woman-who-1821253221

status

Well-Known Forum User
In the day musos would carry there amp,Guitar on the bus or train to get to a gig or live and sleep in the band van,that’s a proper music aprentiship,wouldn’t be allowed now days to do wot they are doing in the picture,

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
In the day musos would carry there amp,Guitar on the bus or train to get to a gig or live and sleep in the band van,that’s a proper music aprentiship,wouldn’t be allowed now days to do wot they are doing in the picture,

Back in the day many moons ago when I was about 15 I had to carry my whole drum kit about half a mile to a local venue for a gig. First the bass drum, then the toms, then the cymbals & snare, then the hardware. After all that my arms felt long enough to be able to reach out into the audience :D Would I still do it today? no a bleedin' chance :D Not long after that we(the band) got a transit van for the gear and a Citroen CX for the band. A few months later on a journey up to Scotland for a uni tour our guitarist stuck his torso out of the passenger side window and took a pee while we headed north at 70mph, Not something I'd recommend :lol:

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Chris Vega what the station looks like now and also a bit of muddy walters

[YOUTUBE]J8I95Nb-y8k?t=143[/YOUTUBE]

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
That's some fantastic footage Steve. I've seen most of the performance footage before but I didn't realise it took place Manchester way, and I've not seen the docu before. Very interesting, and Rosetta Tharpe wow :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Nice find Steve, thanks for posting up the link :thumbs:

The blues brothers and sisters knew what they were doing performing their only gig/doc. in God's own / UKs premier iconic music city D

CP Lee the music historian, one of Manchester's old music heads. Used to front spoof band Alberto Y Lost Trios Paranoias in the late 70s, check out Heads Down No Nonsense Mindless Boogie a **** take of Status' favourite band ;)

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Just found the whole old programme on youtube and I had forgotten about the goat that was on the platform when Sonny Terry and Brownie Mcghee where performing
Jesus I was 16 when I first saw this on an old black and white TV

status

Well-Known Forum User
Jake you should’ve taken up the blues harp,easier to carry,some good stuff there Porky,I’m not old snuff to remember,I don’t think ?