Chat and questions here please

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Sean

I have a 240 engine, raised compression, Stage 2 cam, ports have some cleaning / mild porting, running the std Hitachi SUs, it's fitted with the usual sport exhaust manifold and system sold in the UK by the likes of MJP, how would your system improve the performance?

Without knowing exactly what you have now (photo or link), I can't give an honest and more specifically correct answer.
Fill in the blanks and come back to me - have you had it on a rolling-road to know the power and torque curves ? Is she producing approx 150 flywheel (real) bhp ?

Sorry - Hi Mike.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Do you have measurements of the Z432 silencer please? Intended application is non S30 hence the question.

Do you have measurements of the Z432 silencer please? Intended application is non S30 hence the question.

Length of box = 380mm

Distance between fixing mountings ) 430mm

Overall length from end of twin pipes to slip-on flange = 660mm (obviously the exhaust pipe will slide into that flange by about 55mm)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
It would be the MSA 6 into one manifold and system. Hasn't been on the RR since cam upgrade, but I'm not expecting specific figures, that's unrealistic, too many variables. I suppose I'm saying what would you believe your system would add?
Probably low-down torque and be quieter whilst doing it - it would certainly avoid the typical 'droning' one can have with the 6-1 systems at certain specific engine revs.

I'm not sure that your engines' state of modest tune (and, forgive me - size:)) would give considerably more top-end power - maybe 5-10bhp but who's gonna feel that and it'll be rare (I guess ?) that you'll be frequently revving it up that high ?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Mike I believe I have a system that Sean sells (DJ developed) with standard carbs like you. It pulls really well from just 3k which I put down to the exhaust and the long secondary pipes (but I could be wrong).

If it's true and later you want to upgrade for the longer silencers, that can be arranged but in the Autumn when I'll have another batch produced with more 'spare-parts' to keep handy in case people 'find' sleeping policemen and the like.

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
Cheers Sean

Std 2400 cc, yes definitely get a drone, it gets rev'd occasionally on a hillclimb, and certainly some torque at lower revs would be useful, but it is picking up its skirts by 3k, Rob :)

Thanks for the answer

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Hi sean baby,its like prime ministers question time,thinks its a good idea .i have a nismo header mated to a gds system,wot benefits would i get from changing to your system,im pushin 257 bhp with room for more.
mikeb i put that exhaust on when it was my car i think,didnt like it at first byt it seemed the more it bedded in the more the engine breathed,never experienced that before,good bit of kit

Hi Paul.

Basically as per Mike, I'd need to know more about your current system before correctly answering ; I don't know how a GDS system is made up :

diametre
silencers/expansion boxes
secondary pipe (s) between manifold and line
Decibel level obtained at rear (typical circuit measure = 75% of max revs at 1m50 at 45° from exhaust exit)

I'll begin with the obvious :

Mine is a fully dismountable system for whatever reason necessary (maintenance of gearbox, differentiel, replacement of exhaust parts due to accidental damage.....).

GDS were made up until the '90s weren't they ? So your mild-steel system is 20 years old and perhaps (?) at the end of it's efficient life.

Mine is a fit and forget and in stainless-steel - it'll outlast you :D !

Sales blah, blah - it looks great and won't harm the value of the car and frankly shows that the owner is concientious about the care and presentation of his car....a bit like judging people by the state of their shoes when their clothes are impeccable but the loafers have holes in 'em :rolleyes: !

Come back to me with the missing info and we can look and see if it's 'worth' changing.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Where do I send the bill for you using my photos of my original 432 twin pipe exhaust on your ads...? :p
Didn't know it was yours - isn't Google wonderful:D ! But if you'd sent me an original rear bow from which to copy, you'd have had a case of Champagne too.:bow: But I also took photos when I had the VIP tour of some lock-ups....but without permission, they stay on my HD.:)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Gds,stainless steel my dear boy,if it does go tits up then i might be up for it

Sorry - didn't know, I've only ever seen a GDS manifold which wasn't s-steel.

You still haven't answered my questions so I may answer yours.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Steve is right - to aid visibility of each reply which might hopefully serve to answer others (a bit like publishing the answers to questions asked about something on sale on ebay).

I think Paul will have seen all of the replies if he has an automatic reply generated from each thread in which he has particpated....so I'll delete all of the above.

The point to address somewhere (but not here please) is WHY should Paul feels so paranoid...I'm sure as most who feel 'threatened', he feels it completely founded......amateur psychology lesson over with - goodnight:thumbs:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
All parts made in 201 (austenitic) 1.25mm stainless-steel.

200 series’ steels - also referred to as chromium-manganese (CrMn) stainless steels are considered a cost effective substitute for 300 series stainless steels.

They are generally harder and stronger primarily due to their higher nitrogen content) that can provide an additional benefit of improved yield strength.

Series 200 stainless steels have excellent impact resistance and toughness, even in low temperatures.

Because they are austenitic*, the 200 series' of stainless steels are not magnetic.

*Austenitic steels are non-magnetic in the annealed condition.
Known for their formability and resistance to corrosion, austenitics are the most widely used grade of stainless steel.

They have good formability and weld-ability, as well as excellent toughness, particularly at low, even cryogenic, temperatures. Austenitic grades also have a low yield stress and relatively high tensile strength.

While austenitic steels are more expensive than ferritic stainless steels, they are generally more durable and corrosion resistant.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Its a shame your not going to be doing the 1 3/4 in RHD anymore (although I do understad the economics etc) as I wll probably want one when my Nismo falls apart.

Always was impressed with the build quality of the system and would love to do some dyno tests versus other "headers"

Thanks.

There were two issues with them :

1) they wouldn't fit with std SUs
2) there were some bulkhead issues

I can probably reduce the bulkhead issues and work towards resolving the SU carb issue but the RHD market is so limited.
If there was a reasonable demand for them (+5) the moulds are still there and idle.....

Utimately, it's courtesy of your comments (mentioned elsewhere somewhere but worth it here again) thankyou, that I've turned towards the 1 5/8" !

The JDM (1 5/8) version fits ALL carb (and EFi) types with no fitting issues whatsoever anywhere LHD and RHD.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Has Zstory considered adding windscreens to their list of products as sure there would be a reasonable market for them

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Zstory sells them here in France - they arrive by pallet, heated ones too but by prior arrangement with an already established seller in the UK - I don't sell 'here'.

In any case, I don't post these out:eek: !

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
The subtle improvement on the centre box - before and after (longer so as to be quieter); more improvements to be shown another time ;) !

Attachments

• P5034291.jpg
    P5034291.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF5432.JPG
    DSCF5432.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 27

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Z432 vs. JDM rear silencer

I decided to rename my latest rear silencer 'JDM' instead of 'Z432' because a 'a little bird' suggested that it would be less confusing !:confused:

Why says I, always looking to learn....?:conf2:

Because as it's a single entry pipe is doesn't replicate the OEM part AND the twin-pipe silencer was an option on JDM cars.

Really ?:eek: You mean that anyone, even he with the basic model and L20 engine could have had that fitted and it wasn't only the Z432s with the S20) ?:blush:

Yes indeed !:toetap:

Ah, that's nice and suits me better:hurray::bow:

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
What's the difference between the race/sport and the street/sport manifolds.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Apart from the shape (and the possibility that the race/sport might involve a little pushing and shoving to get past the firewall and front of the trans tunnel), the race/sport as its' name implies is attuned for more performance.

If I know your engines' state of tune, I can better advise but frankly, the street/sport will suit most cars !

It's also less expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.