Car Security

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Hi all,

I would like to get some advice and hear some opinions on the subject, having recently heard the shocking news that someone's e-type was stolen from under their nose in a public car park at the Donington Historic over the weekend.

What security measures can be taken to protect our Z's from theft? I'm fairly conscious that leaving our 240Z in places could potentially be quite risky and would like to deter and protect our car.

(I would point out that you may not want to share your exact setups given that this is a public forum)

I look forward to the responses :thumbs:

Jon_Flynn

Club Member
I don't think anything can stop it sadly - but things do act as a deterrent.

The wheel blocking devices can all be removed in 2 or 3 mins with a battery operated angle grinder, including things like disclock. But they do act as a deterrent.

Immobiliser and alarm might help as well. You could always have a hidden battery shut off as well, and if parking for more than a few mins pop the hood and take off the rotor arm. But non of that is solved if they have a low loader or trailer.

What I do have on a couple of my cars (z included) is a remote fracker from Cantrack. It's set to basically ping once a week as standard it's current location if it doesn't move. If it does move it pings once every 4 hours. But if it's stolen I can pop it in theft mode and have real time minute by minute updates on location.

You can also have it set to report on things like Gforce or angle - say 45 degrees if it's being loaded on to a low loader or trailer. It also has a 15 year battery life in the base mode and if the worst does happen the company has a hotline to get police etc involved in recovery.

It's still not preventative but it gives a bit of peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toopy

Club Member
I was considering this http://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/tracker/oxford_tracker/

designed for motorbikes but just as useful for cars.

I always remove the rotor arm, i also fitted a battery cutoff switch, mainly to stop the battery draining, but also adds another layer of basic security

I remember reading about a member on here who had fitted a hidden changeover switch into the wiring for the coil and the horn, one way you get live to the coil, the other sounds the horn if you try to start the car without flipping the switch :D

Years ago i remember seeing an advert for a device that you hide inside the car, if you didnt turn it off within 10 secs of entering, it sounds a 110db siren, which is pretty unbearable in the confines of a car interior!
Nothing like that seems to be available today sadly, probably because of health and safety on the part of the thieving fukwits ears!!

Bobafett

Well-Known Forum User
I have a TK103 Tracker device on my 'main' pride and joy. Nothing on the 240z, just yet! Easily enough for the competent home enthusiast to wire up.

Small GPS device hard wired and buried into the car, and not easy accessible for some lowlife to rip out. Uses a SIM card also so I can see via an App on my smartphone the coordinates and location on Google Maps.

Can also turn off the fuel pump remotely, which is handy if the car is driven off as the scum driving will simply stop the car from running out of fuel. I can then use the tracker device to trace the car, locate and recover.

Other features I also use, which are crude and effective - are more for visual impact and a deterrent. Even down to using a motorbike chain and lock fed through rear leaf spring (non-Datsun) and Minilite spokes. Have locking wheel nuts also to circumvent wheel removal. So yes, chaining the car like I did my bike when I was a kid. A useful visual deterrent and useful when on a classic car event staying with a bunch of others at a hotel overnight. Some of these car club events are well flagged on social media and internet, you just do not know who is looking and before you know it, they know where you are staying on an event.

Also, garage at home is wired up to the house alarm as a separate zone and is always on - even when I'm in bed asleep!

Call me paranoid, but hey ho - these are serious investments now!

toopy

Club Member
Other features I also use, which are crude and effective - are more for visual impact and a deterrent. Even down to using a motorbike chain and lock fed through rear leaf spring (non-Datsun) and Minilite spokes. Have locking wheel nuts also to circumvent wheel removal. So yes, chaining the car like I did my bike when I was a kid. A useful visual deterrent and useful when on a classic car event staying with a bunch of others at a hotel overnight.

That is a great idea, looped through the front wheel and around the suspension and/or steering, not insurmountable for a pro scum bag, but extra hassle and makes dragging/manouvering it onto a trailer that bit harder if they haven't got decent bolt cutters too hand :thumbs:

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
I have a very loud car alarm on datsun but on extreme windy days can set it off. My dad put it on years years ago on samuri

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I have a wheel clamp that goes on while parked up in my garage and parked up overnight in public places - don't care how silly it looks!

I use the battery isolator for when I park up at a pub or something.

Also have plans for electrics isolator with a latching relay in the pipeline.

I love the SIM card device that shuts off the fuel pump!!! Sadly I run a mech pump.

Japfest overnight parking a couple of years ago.

c4d8cb2339be9c8a4eb56da4093b2c23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam_C

Club Member
Don't know how practical it is, but could some kind of hydraulic lock be fitted into the brake system? I think drag racers may use something similar, but not sure if it would be useable in a road car.

Bobafett

Well-Known Forum User
Would place lasting pressure on the braking system, and also wouldn't allow for brakes to cool evenly after a spirited drive once parked up and secured, me thinks.

However, I do have a hydraulic brake for my front brakes (RWD) on a non Z car, and that's for the line lock setup :D:D

status

Well-Known Forum User
That was a bit below the belt Franky but I like,but think of it this way if you own a 260 and put 240 badges on it people will defo walk away as they would prefer the more rare and faster by 2 mph more comfortable 260 ,sum french bloke should be along soon with his onions

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Couldn't find it but I did giggle at your comment

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Spoke with a car electronics chap last week - he had a tracker in his van which got nicked and they never found a trace of it - beacon never set off. He checked up and these people load up the car and go over it with a sensor or something to detect the signal being emitted. They found his, removed it and off they went.

Bobafett

Well-Known Forum User
Such tracker devices can now easily be added to your pride and joy as they are so small and cheap without you realising it a show or meet, and hey presto - the scum know where you live.....

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Good point - so we all need to sweep our cars before returning home....lovely world in which we live !