Brakes up-grades

AdamY

Forum User
Best brake up-grade options???

Eventually got my 280z 2+2 on the road - it is a US import with a Chevy V8.

Lots of fun potentially - but needs quite a lot of sorting. I think top priority has to be to up-grade the brakes......

Just looking for any recommendations on what works well, is good value and how much work is required???

Thanks
Adam

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Find a front, vented disc set-up (depends upon your wheel size etc) and make sur your shock absorbers and springs are up to scratch. Leave the rears on drums if in good nick and therefore don't touch the BMC.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
More power, more speed....on stock front brakes, you'd have to be brave and anticipate.:D

Well, yes, that's the point. More power alone doesn't require upgraded brakes. a heavier car or using the car outside the stock duty cycle does.
I mean, a Z with a 500 bhp engine that you intend to use exclusively on the street within the law, I really doubt you'd be able to exceed the stock brakes capability.
A stock car with full on track use on the other hand probably could exceed it.

Also preferring the look is a good reason :)

Moriarty

Well-Known Forum User
Best brake up-grade options???

Eventually got my 280z 2+2 on the road - it is a US import with a Chevy V8.

Lots of fun potentially - but needs quite a lot of sorting. I think top priority has to be to up-grade the brakes......

Just looking for any recommendations on what works well, is good value and how much work is required???

Thanks
Adam

Respectfully HSCC cars go quicker than you ever will do .........on stock brakes with upgraded pads, but they dont look as good as a modern disc (rotor) and multi pot caliper

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Respectfully HSCC cars go quicker than you ever will do .........on stock brakes with upgraded pads, but they dont look as good as a modern disc (rotor) and multi pot caliper

They generally don't have to apply them urgently to avoid some kid on a bicycle though.

johnymd

Club Member
All well maintained, good condition brake should be capable of stopping these cars in an emergency, one off situation. It's the repeated heavy use that will show their weakness. The 240 brakeing gives less confidence due to minimal servo assist but this improves with subsequent models.