Brake conversion / retrofit

280zx

Forum User
Retro fitting better brakes on to the s130

Has anyone on here fitted z32 300zx or the likes calipers or hubs on to the s130?

I'm thinking either of these kits must fit the s130

Nissan s14,15 brakes
Nissan z31 or z32 brakes

Just wondering if anyone has done a conversion and what did you do ?

niroshann

Club Member
This is what I am trying to do with one of my 280zxs. I have upgraded the engine to an RB25DET NEO with manual and need to upgrade the brakes to cope with that.

The Z32 hubs dont fit the standard S130 spindles so an option is to take the whole strut from an S13 (maybe S14 as well) and replace the S130 strut. The only issue with this is that the lower arm on the S130 is too short and the angles are not right so when you set the car on its wheels, there will be camber issues even with adjustible camber coilovers. A solution I have seen is to have a custom made ball joint for the lower arm with a lower arm from an R30 Skyline.

I am currently going down the path of machining down the S130 hub and using larger S14 4 stud rotors with Z32 calipers (will need a spacer). Alternative is to get Z31 5 stud hub and machine down then you can use Z32 rotors and calipers, but still need a spacer for calipers. Check this link out New Zealand Datsun Club • View topic - Big Brake Conversion Using your old bolt on style hubs

I am stuck as I cannot get my hand on S130 struts to measure up everything and put it on CAD - makes issue of spacer easier. My cars are in NZ and I am in the UK.

Let me know if you have any luck. We could join forces on this if you want to go down the machining hub and caliper spacer option!

Good luck!

280zx

Forum User
Rb25 !! Nice !!
Where did you get the parts to mount that in
Did you buy a kit or fabricate ?

Yeah these brakes are ok for the standard engines
But 240bhp + requires good stoppers !?

And I'm not spending 1000 or so for big stoppers on the front

I wonder how would the standard setup go
With drilled discs front and rear with good pads and
Braided lines and 5.1 fluid ... Would they still be fading
And weak ?? :-/

Anyway what should I measure up ?
See if we can get something going here

datsfun

Club Member
Assuming all the braking components are refurbished and in perfect working condition, I can not see how these would not be sufficient for fast road use. I have a few friends who have carried out 280Zx brake conversions on their older Datsuns and have not suffered any brake fade on track days etc. I think its all relative to the bhp you are pushing out and also the weight of the car. In this case, these Datsuns weigh around the 950-1000kg mark so much lighter than a stock s130 I assume.

Another option is to use dog bone type of brackets on the 280zx strut and mount the wilwood dynalite caliper. These are lighter and 4 pot and work well with stock discs. This is what I have in my application and the main reason was I wanted to stick with 14" rims. Most brake upgrades require 15" or larger diameter wheels ...:thumbs:

Niroshann, where abouts in london are you based? I may be able to offer you a set of 280Zx struts for measurement purposes:D

niroshann

Club Member
280zx I have also seen peugeot 505 rotors and caliper combos. Alternatively the toyota 12W (if I recall correct) from a hilux or 4runner would give you 4pot brakes up the front keeping the stock S130 rotors. Minor modifications to the threads where calipers mount. Plenty of info on the net on this one.

As Datsfun says, the issue will be that the newer nissan gear from the Z32 will mean that the 14 rims wont work. I am yet to confirm this with the setup I plan on doing. I have seen the wilwood mentioned a lot but have not considered them as I want to be able to use OEM parts - eg new rotors and pads etc. Might be worth looking into it though.

datsfun, your offer seems too good to be true!! I am in harrow. PM me if you dont mind me borrowing one strut. I can mirror the measurements for the other side. Can share with 280zx as well!

andrew muir

Club Member
I went to Spa last year and the problems I got on track, never happen on the road.
Its heat that is the issue, get good qualty vented rotors and high temp brake pads and you should be alright as long as your not racing that is!
Then but only then should you require bigger discs cooling ducts and multipot calipers.:thumbs:

Rb25 !! Nice !!
Where did you get the parts to mount that in
Did you buy a kit or fabricate ?

Yeah these brakes are ok for the standard engines
But 240bhp + requires good stoppers !?

And I'm not spending 1000 or so for big stoppers on the front

I wonder how would the standard setup go
With drilled discs front and rear with good pads and
Braided lines and 5.1 fluid ... Would they still be fading
And weak ?? :-/

Anyway what should I measure up ?
See if we can get something going here

datsfun

Club Member
datsfun, your offer seems too good to be true!! I am in harrow. PM me if you dont mind me borrowing one strut. I can mirror the measurements for the other side. Can share with 280zx as well!

Harrow is 15 minutes drive from me :thumbs:. Do you want the bare strut or a complete unit with the discs, calipers and pads all mounted ? I suspect I can get access to the latter.

BTW, just to clarify I do not have a s130 but just the struts so can not help with any other s130 questions or queries..:smash:

niroshann

Club Member
datsfun, latter would do just fine! I will need to take calipers off but will return it all put back together.

280zx, ill keep going down this path. As Andrew has mentioned from experience, there may be other options that are not as intense in terms of fabrication so feel free to look up other solutions as well. I'll keep you posted on progress and maybe if you are keen we can do a post on the forum for future reference.

280zx

Forum User
Cool I plan to document everything now
With the car ...

I'm completely gutting it and starting from a soda blasted
Shell up ... Should be starting it in the next 2 weeks

+ I will have a whole range of original parts for sale
As I will be customising various parts of the car
And retro fitting others and just removing what I
Won't be using so people's keep an eye out for the
Stripping down thread :)

I'm also unsure if I have enough posts to
Open a for sale thread ..( some sites don't like you posting items for sale)
If your a new user :)

Little off topic there :-/
Yeah keep me posted on your progress
Eventually I will get to the brakes :D

Huw

Club Member
If you pay your membership dues, u can use the classifieds for ur stuff I do believe.

Mr.F

Inactive
I had a 280ZX here which had been converted to Z31 hubs all round. With the right bearings, the rear is quite easy as the two cars share a common design. Front hubs are similar and also share bearing sets, so the later hub works on the earlier stubs.

AndyMinto

Inactive
I am stuck as I cannot get my hand on S130 struts to measure up everything and put it on CAD - makes issue of spacer easier. My cars are in NZ and I am in the UK.

Sorry I missed this but I have two front struts which you could get your measurements from if you need them and I am not too far away (81 2+2 280ZX).

(Dorking, Surrey)
Any help

niroshann

Club Member

Sorry I missed this but I have two front struts which you could get your measurements from if you need them and I am not too far away (81 2+2 280ZX).

(Dorking, Surrey)
Any help

Thanks @AndyMinto. :thumbs:
I will let you know depending on how I go. Measuring up a strut next week hopefully!