Are Zs valued classics or .............. ?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
..........the value of the 240 / 260's has been creeping up of late. They are icons of their age and as such are being recognised more and more for their inovation,engineering and style. Take one of these cars from the 70's and sit it next to a capri.. even the bullet 3lt capri pales at the side of one of the Z's.........

As the proper restoration of an S30 costs a great deal of money (in parts alone) and labour rates are the same if you restore a Porsche, E-Type or even more expensive classic car (Aston, Ferrari etc) AND your Z is an even rarer beast than most of these - you can even argue that there are considerably less Datsun Zs on the roads than Ferraris of a similar era........our cars should be valued higher than they are.

No, the point of this is not to claim higher re-sale values, I don't care how much yours or my Z is worth. The point is that these cars should be valued higher than at present.

They are still considered by some as cheap fun, cheap, simple to do up sports-cars - BANGERS !

And this attitude is keeping their profile low, lower than it should be.

We've been fighting for years against the 'sunny' tarnish, the cheap, made in Japan copy image with a little of 'their cars and bikes put our industry out of business'....bigotry too !

It's time that this club stood up and defended these cars as rightful inheritors of the middle sportscars range crown.

What's beneath us , MGS, Triumphs, Alfas, any major coproations' coupé - Capri, Celica, Opel GT....feel free to add to the list....and what's above us - E-Type and others (how many others with just two seats ?), Porsches, Corvettes, Mustangs.........?

Standard or modified, a Z beats most of them (of similar eras and sometimes later) in rallyes and on circuits.

But never mind that, even on the roads, your Z stands out, your Z is a better car to drive, more complete, more responding.

What I want to see is better cars out there, I'm fed up with seeing crap being advertised as potential gold-dust, cars being over-valued because Mr Smith from no. 79 once owned it and I'm fed up with people in this club keeping running dogs because they're cheap.

They'll always remain cheap (and I don't mean inexpensive) if we treat them as cheap.

Yes, I've been critical of recently advertised cars.....because in my opinion, they deserved it - teh good cars don't get advertised so openly, look at the cars that The Z Farm has sold, the imports that have been sold from William Galliers, some other cars that I'm priviledged to know about.

And there are people coming onto the Z scene who are attracted because they are different cars, great cars but appear inexpensive ! If bought by these people, soon to be disillusioned (not all I admit) these cars won't be loved....kept going at best on a shoestring budget, they'll fall the same way as did the Zs in the '80s except that they won't last as long because they're already 30+ years old !

The members of and the club itself MUST start presenting Zs as one of the most desirable classics.
A great spin-off to this would be a true rennaissance of genuine owners and genuine members, proud to be part of something bigger.

Save the Zs !

2fast2z

Well-Known Forum User
Ah, a -66 1600 just as mine.

Sean, there is one up for sale here in DK, a import car, looks to be a solid car to touch up, it is with out registration tax, any interest? for a collector as you.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
The point is that these cars should be valued higher than at present.

They are still considered by some as cheap fun, cheap, simple to do up sports-cars - BANGERS !

And this attitude is keeping their profile low, lower than it should be.

What I want to see is better cars out there, I'm fed up with seeing crap being advertised as potential gold-dust, cars being over-valued because Mr Smith from no. 79 once owned it and I'm fed up with people in this club keeping running dogs because they're cheap.

1971 'K' reg 240Z - Z Club Classifieds

(Tax exempt, genuine UK, well worth restoring therefore and will be worth loadsamoney when finished.
Could be a beautiful, treasured member of the family and concours winner )

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
1971 'K' reg 240Z - Z Club Classifieds

(Tax exempt, genuine UK, well worth restoring therefore and will be worth loadsamoney when finished.
Could be a beautiful, treasured member of the family and concours winner )

Mike - can you not recognise a piss-take when you see one ! This was current when there was a discussion re UK cars were worth saving !

One Club - all the cars......what does that mean then ? I'm certainly not proposing a club just for 240Zs or even S30s. What I will say is that 240Zs aren't being looked after enough by owners and this club.

Ooh, this one will sting....."the historical importance, current and future evaluation of 240Zs is being diluted by poor examples of same models and later models".

I don't say stop what we're doing, I say do more and better on and for the earlier Zs.......and Roadsters as well if you like !

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
so is it a real car ?? that you have for sale or are you wasting other peoples time

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Mike - wtf has that got to do with this thread ? Stop wasting my time and filling up this thread with blah, blah......please. All serious enquiries re that car have been dealt with seriously. It's the text that is the piss-take, not the subject.

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
you wonder why people do not respect datsuns,i see loads cars like that advertised on ebay etc and just makes me laugh.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Mike - it was A JOKE ! Did you export your sense of humour ?:rolleyes:Car is available all the same for the discerning buyer.;)

zbloke

Club Member
I think alot of people don't respect Datsuns, especially the S30 range, because they simply don't know what they are or what they have achieved, but you can't make people who have been brought up on MG's or Triumph's change their minds, to them Datsun just means rusty car from Japan

Raising the profile is a very good idea, job for the press officer perhaps...........or a job for all of us who are lucky enought to own a Z, i.e. get the rebuild done or just drag it out of the garage more often and start using it :thumbs:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I think alot of people don't respect Datsuns, especially the S30 range, because they simply don't know what they are or what they have achieved, but you can't make people who have been brought up on MG's or Triumph's change their minds, to them Datsun just means rusty car from Japan

Raising the profile is a very good idea, job for the press officer perhaps...........or a job for all of us who are lucky enought to own a Z, i.e. get the rebuild done or just drag it out of the garage more often and start using it :thumbs:

Exactly - this is the point.

It was stated 'one club - all the cars'....well they all follow on from the 240Z - get that public perception right and the rest of the family models will be appreciated in turn !

no i never got there :(
:eek: Still can see the funny side then...........:D